Security Deposit

Status
Not open for further replies.

findlaw57

What if the time limit has passed for the landlord to send security deposit? How do i get my security deposit from the landlord?

I Live in Ca.
Steven Sperger
1324 SpringHill Street
Los Angles, CA 90245

Google security deposits California.

It's a long process. It starts with a demand letter for an accounting and return of your funds. Google what I've told you.

The landlord has 21 days to either return your deposit or an itemized list accounting for what happened to your deposit.
If you did not leave the landlord a new mailing address then the landlord has a pretty good reason for not sending the deposit.

As said above, first write a demand letter... a kindly worded one will likely work best... that informs the landlord that 21 days have passed and you expect the immediate refund of your deposit. Since (rather, IF) the landlord did not comply with the law you are entitled to the FULL refund EVEN IF THERE ARE DAMAGES. You can file small claims for the amount of the deposit, and I believe California allows for you to collect up to triple (maybe it is double) the amount for punitive damages.

If the landlord knows you intend to sue for triple the amount of the deposit you might get a check real fast. Going through court will be a long hassle... so a kindly worded reminder to the landlord is a good first step. If you still don't have a check about 10 days after that then take your claim to court.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back