1. Free Legal Help, Legal Forms and Lawyers. TheLaw.com has been providing free legal assistance online since 1995. Our most popular destinations for legal help are below. It only takes a minute to join our legal community!

Dismiss Notice

security deposit

Discussion in 'Commercial Landlord & Tenant Issues' started by xwill2willx, Sep 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xwill2willx

xwill2willx Law Topic Starter New Member

In November 2001 I moved into a mobile home. I gave 2 months rent security deposit plus the first months rent. I was told that they were suppose to pay interest on my security deposit and only suppose to keep 1 months deposit by law. To this day I have never recieved any interest on my deposit and when requested to have 1 months security towards my months rent they refused. I only asked for that due to some unexpected medical bills and loss of work hours due to an injury. I live in Chicago's southeast side at Harbour Point estates. It seems that management do what they want and ignore laws. I just wish I could find someone to represent me to get this fixed. I am late with this months rent. My injury has set me back some.
    [email protected]

2. jacksgal

jacksgal Super Moderator

Can you post the law yor referencing? I have never heard of a Landlord being told he must pay interest on deposit. Furthermore if the Landlord was required to do so it woud be when tenant left not while still living in home/apartment

3. presutin

presutin Moderator

Jacks - I must disagree with you. There are such laws in many states, including mine, VA.

4. jacksgal

jacksgal Super Moderator

I said I was uncertain. Which is why I requested said statute posted. However under what condition does the statute allow Landlord to give said monies to tenant before departure?

5. Gail_in_Georgia

Gail_in_Georgia Moderator

Any interest required on security deposits is returned after the tenant vacates the rental, not during the actual lease period.

6. xwill2willx

xwill2willx Law Topic Starter New Member

Maybe you should look in the Illinois mobile home renters laws. You might be surprised.

7. presutin

presutin Moderator

Will - if you are not in public housing then take your landlord to small claims court to settle this issue. Hope this helps and good luck to you!