Security Deposit Phony business invoices

A

AF1998

Jurisdiction
California
I received from my apartment complex an itemized list of charges deducted for keeping my security deposit and three pages that are not actual invoices but have dates that are from dates that do not add up with when the services would have been done, and company information for places that performed the repairs and cleaning to my old apartment. I went into the leasing office and asked for the actual invoices or receipts from the companies and the manager could not provide them at that time saying the don't get them directly. Today I decided to investigate the companies online, and found very little information on the business, no reviews, and one of the companies websites has information with coupons expiring in 2016 still on the website. I decided to email the carpet company for a quote on how much they charge and gave info on the size of the apartment and they emailed back saying "What is the name of the apartment" I asked if that would effect the rate, and the carpet company responded with "Can I give you a phone call?" less than 30 minutes after I emailed this alleged carpet company I get an email from the leasing office manager with very not credible looking invoices from the carpet company and another company that look almost identical. The invoices also say things like #456 2x2 gen clean....this makes me think they are having the work done by the maintenance staff or not done at all and making up fake info for the businesses. One even says the carpet cleaner is licensed, bonded and insured however I cannot find his licensing information on the CSLB or anywhere else. Please advise.

It seems you are not disputing that deductions were made, rather the amount of the deductions, correct?
If so, you may not get far with your argument.

It seems you are not disputing that deductions were made, rather the amount of the deductions, correct?
If so, you may not get far with your argument.

Thanks for taking the time to reply to my question.

I am disputing that the deductions were made incorrectly because the work didn't need to be done. I received four total pages in my security deposit statement, the itemized list of charges, "pricing" for carpet cleaning and the company who does the cleaning's info, and same type of documents for cleaning, and painting.

I had the carpets cleaned the day I moved out and I submitted the receipt to my leasing office. The paint was fine granted maybe a little normal wear and tear. And the house was almost spotless so cleaning might be the only valid charge if any. Keep in mind I was only in the apartment for six months.

According to the information mailed to me originally, the company who performed the painting & Cleaning were the SAME company and I was deducted two separate charges based off of the service. Here is the really fishy update that I got today from my leasing office management this morning. She provided the carpet cleaning and apartment cleaning invoices to me yesterday but not the painting invoice that was $225 (supposed to have been done by the same company who does the apt cleaning.) The manager leaves me a voicemail saying she found out that the painting was actually done in house, and I actually received a discounted or lesser charge because the "in house" service costs more than the company that was listed to me originally. The company they said did the apartment cleaning and the painting are the same company according to the documents.

Are they outside of the law by sending me a company's pricing for the work, and then ending up doing it in house anyway?

Are they outside of the law by sending me a company's pricing for the work, and then ending up doing it in house anyway?

No.

If you dispute the charges, as suggested your only option is to take the matter to small claims court.

No one is required to just hand over money to you because you demand it.

A judge can order someone pay you money after a trial.

You must then attempt to collect the money.

Back