Arrest, Search, Seizure, Warrant Search

Status
Not open for further replies.

SharonZ

There is an employee where my husband works who had his car repossessed. The people who repossessed the car found drug paraphernalia in it and reported it to the police. The police came and spoke to this person and left without a citation or anything else last week.
The employer said he will now have the police and their drug dogs canvas the parking lot and have vehicles searched periodically. My husband and the older employees are upset about this because they feel they have to pay the price because of one employee.
Can the employer and the police legally do this? What recourse do the employees have?
Thank you

I understand what you are saying. But as I said, they are upset about this because they feel they have to pay the price because of one employee.

They can park their cars off of the employer's property.
No, there is nothing they can do about the employer using drug sniffing dogs to locate drugs.
If the employer were to enter the cars on his property, that might change things.
But, that isn't what went down.
As Mighty Moose advised, leave your drugs in another secure location.

I understand what you are saying. But as I said, they are upset about this because they feel they have to pay the price because of one employee.

There is no price to pay, if they are not carrying a vehicle full of drug residue. They are free to resign and seek employment elsewhere.

You don't have much privacy in the workplace/at work.

The employees can always park their car elsewhere instead of in the company parking lot.

I don't see anything illegal done with having drug sniffing dogs checking the parking lot. If the employer actually searched employees' cars, that might be a different story.

I don't see the big concern if the employees don't have any drugs in their cars.

They can park their cars off of the employer's property.
No, there is nothing they can do about the employer using drug sniffing dogs to locate drugs.
If the employer were to enter the cars on his property, that might change things.
But, that isn't what went down.
As Mighty Moose advised, leave your drugs in another secure location.

I appreciate the reply. Come Monday there will probably be a few folks parking elsewhere. It's shame because of a few others pay the price.
Thank you

There is no price to pay, if they are not carrying a vehicle full of drug residue. They are free to resign and seek employment elsewhere.

Apparently one of them did leave. Good. The job is dangerous enough without having to work with someone not having all their senses about them.

Apparently one of them did leave. Good. The job is dangerous enough without having to work with someone not having all their senses about them.

Thank you for posting that. At first, it seemed you supported the ability of hubbies co-workers to get high over lunch break. I'm glad you value hubby as much as we value him.

Oh, them dopers and ropers,
The more I see of them dopers,
The more I admire calf ropers!

I'm just a poor, old, Texas Hill Country Lawyer.
I love me some rodeo.

Oh, them dopers and ropers,
The more I see of them dopers,
The more I admire calf ropers!

I'm just a poor, old, Texas Hill Country Lawyer.
I love me some rodeo.

Thank you for posting that. At first, it seemed you supported the ability of hubbies co-workers to get high over lunch break. I'm glad you value hubby as much as we value him.

I'm sorry if that's how I came across. My husband and I absolutely do not support behavior like this in anyway. We never will. We don't want to be around anyone like that.
I should have made myself clear when I said "older employees" I mean the employees close to retirement. It would be difficult in this economy for any of them or my husband to easily get employment elsewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back