School bus video

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmitch

As I drove up to the school bus stop, a student got off the bus, and told me my daughter was getting beat up. I ran onto the bus to find my daughter on the floor being kicked and punched. I was also punched in the back of the head. I pulled my daughter off the bus somehow and called the police. The next day I went to the school and was told that I could not see the video. They said my daughter was hit from behind and then my daughter struck back and the fight ensued. I was told it was a felony for me to go onto the school bus. I don't know what would have happened to her if I didn't. My daughter got the same suspension that the other girl did. Don't I have any right to see this video?

Well, no. Assuming such a video exists, you do not have a right under the law to see it.

As I drove up to the school bus stop, a student got off the bus, and told me my daughter was getting beat up. I ran onto the bus to find my daughter on the floor being kicked and punched. I was also punched in the back of the head. I pulled my daughter off the bus somehow and called the police. The next day I went to the school and was told that I could not see the video. They said my daughter was hit from behind and then my daughter struck back and the fight ensued. I was told it was a felony for me to go onto the school bus. I don't know what would have happened to her if I didn't. My daughter got the same suspension that the other girl did. Don't I have any right to see this video?

You have no inherent legal right to see anyone's video.

No one has a legal duty to show you their video.

However, a court can compel someone to produce video for a compelling and valid legal reason.

I submit that you may be able to use your daughter's current legal jeopardy as a reason to request a court order the school district to show you the video.

That will not be easy, even if it is possible.

If you are serious, I suggest you consult with a local criminal defense attorney.

The initial consultation is often provided free of charge or obligation.

If you had a weapon, it could be considered a felony. Here appears to be the statute they are referring to. Your reason for getting on the bus was an emergency situation involving your daughter.

810.097 Trespass upon grounds or facilities of a school; penalties; arrest.

(1) Any person who:

(a) Does not have legitimate business on the campus or any other authorization, license, or invitation to enter or remain upon school property; or ...

You did not commit any offense.
I agree that they do not have to show the video. If police were involved they would likely get the video, but even they would not likely show it.
Unless someone is actually facing some sort of criminal charges you shouldn't worry much about the video.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back