scarred homeless

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stacey

I am a single mother with 3 children. I was engaged until 2 months ago. We started dating july 2009..then in October of 09 we found a great house for a good price. We went through the process together but when it came to paperwork and credit..he put only his name on the house. I worried then that I would have no rights to the house..but he assured me that it was "our" home & that it always would be. long story short..he broke our engagement 2-3 months ago & has told me that me & my children need to move out. I have no job currently and have no money & now have no home. Do I have any rights in this matter. I am not wanting to get ugly but I am just scarred that I will end up on the streets with nothing.

Assuming you're in the US, he must evict you according to the laws in your state.

You have no rights to stay there and no rights to the house unfortunately.

I am a single mother with 3 children. I was engaged until 2 months ago. We started dating july 2009..then in October of 09 we found a great house for a good price. We went through the process together but when it came to paperwork and credit..he put only his name on the house. I worried then that I would have no rights to the house..but he assured me that it was "our" home & that it always would be. long story short..he broke our engagement 2-3 months ago & has told me that me & my children need to move out. I have no job currently and have no money & now have no home. Do I have any rights in this matter. I am not wanting to get ugly but I am just scarred that I will end up on the streets with nothing.

You have no legal ownership interest in the home or property owned by another person.

Any promises made orally about property are meaningless.

All contracts regarding property interests must be reduced to writing or protected by statute (ie...month to month leases).

You will eventually be evicted, if you are no longer wanted in HIS home.

I suggest you start making your plans to move, or face eviction.

An eviction will stain your credit record and make it very hard to rent property for many years.

What steps have you taken over the past 3 months to get on your feet and established? A job? A plan? It appears he has been patient, yet you appear to be attempting to impose yourself on him. If you have no job, you have not been paying for the home for a long time it appears. As the home was only bought less than 3 years ago, it is doubtful any equity has accrued and any money you contributed since its purchase is less than fair market value of rent would have been for the same period. It doesn't sound as if you even a moral interest in it.

What steps have you taken over the past 3 months to get on your feet and established? A job? A plan? It appears he has been patient, yet you appear to be attempting to impose yourself on him. If you have no job, you have not been paying for the home for a long time it appears. As the home was only bought less than 3 years ago, it is doubtful any equity has accrued and any money you contributed since its purchase is less than fair market value of rent would have been for the same period. It doesn't sound as if you even a moral interest in it.

Equity? That doesn't even come into play here.

Equity? That doesn't even come into play here.

OP seems to think she is owed an interest in the property. I am attempting to explain in terms one not versed in reality can understand, that she has no moral claim to anything, since we all know she has no legal claim, but she doesn't "get it". I deal with people who feel they deserve something based on their emotional attachments regularly. Normal rules of logic do not apply. I call it the "leading a horse to water and teaching it how to drink method".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back