SALES CONTRACT AND TITLE HAVE DIFFERENT VIN Number that vehicle in possession

A

auntina

Jurisdiction
Kansas
Purchased a 2016 vehicle a few weeks ago. Just received the title and paperwork to get it registered today. The dealer called and asked me to check the last 6 numbers of the VIN off the vehicle tag. I gave it to him and he said "Thank you" and hung up. Curiosity got me so I read the title and sales contract and the vin number does not match that on the vehicle. After looking over everything a little more, I see that the vehicle on the contract is more $$$ than the actual vehicle in my possession. I called the dealer and they said we could redo the contract. I don't want to redo any contract. I want the better vehicle, it is what I am paying for. Is this something I can request? What are my options in this matter? Or, can I negotiate to pay a much lesser price for the wrong vehicle that they gave me, like a used car price?

Purchased a 2016 vehicle a few weeks ago. Just received the title and paperwork to get it registered today. The dealer called and asked me to check the last 6 numbers of the VIN off the vehicle tag. I gave it to him and he said "Thank you" and hung up. Curiosity got me so I read the title and sales contract and the vin number does not match that on the vehicle. After looking over everything a little more, I see that the vehicle on the contract is more $$$ than the actual vehicle in my possession. I called the dealer and they said we could redo the contract. I don't want to redo any contract. I want the better vehicle, it is what I am paying for. Is this something I can request? What are my options in this matter? Or, can I negotiate to pay a much lesser price for the wrong vehicle that they gave me, like a used car price?

It all depends on what you want, and what you agreed to pay.

For example, you thought you were buying SuperCar VIN=12345 for $10,000.
You were sold and titled SuperCar VIN=12346 for $12,000.

You don't have a valid contract, because you have no meeting of the minds.
This, the contract you have should be voided and the negotiations begin again.

Example 2, you wanted to buy the second or the first car, the paperwork is for the opposite car, you possess the WANTED car.
That is a clerical error, and can be corrected to make the dealer, you, and the state happy.

You should have walked out of the dealership with the car AND documents. The first thing you should have done is confirm that the VIN matched the vehicle you had.

In addition, right now you are driving a vehicle which is NOT INSURED. Your insurance cards do not match the car you are driving. That in itself can be a huge problem if you have an accident OR you get stopped by the police. Driving without insurance involves severe penalties in most states, usually including suspension or revocation of your license.

I called the dealer and they said we could redo the contract. I don't want to redo any contract. I want the better vehicle, it is what I am paying for. Is this something I can request? What are my options in this matter? Or, can I negotiate to pay a much lesser price for the wrong vehicle that they gave me, like a used car price?

You're delusional if you think you will win a battle of wits with a car dealer but you are welcome to try.

Meantime, DON'T drive a car that you don't own and don't have any insurance on.

You're delusional if you think you will win a battle of wits with a car dealer but you are welcome to try.

Meantime, DON'T drive a car that you don't own and don't have any insurance on.
Delusional? Seriously? If I am paying the price of a more expensive vehicle, how can I be delusional to ask for the vehicle that I am paying for? I'm driving a $42000 vehicle and paying for a $47000 vehicle. What's delusional about wanting what you are paying for, that I have both the title and contract on?

Last edited:
The bottom line is that you want the car you paid for.

What did the dealer rep say when you said you didn't want to "redo the contract"?

In the meantime, you've been told DO NOT drive that car since it is not insured or owned by you.

If the dealer makes arrangements to take it back and give you the correct car you need to make sure that either they tow it back to the dealership or they send someone over with a dealer plate to take it back with. You should also advise your insurance company - right now you are paying premiums for a car not in your possession and could be in someone else's possession.

Agree- this sounds like a dealer goof.
You need to physically be in their office with COPIES of your papers and try to resolve this.
Don't be surprised if their desire is to renegotiate the price of the vehicle you already have (and which you apparently were happy with for a few weeks before you learned of this).
As above, don't drive the car unless you confirm it has insurance coverage.

Went to the dealership and the outcome was in my favor. Very pleased.
Thank you, all, for your feedback and advice.

Back