Alcohol & Drugs: MIP, MIC, Intoxication Sale of Alcohol to a minor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skalar

My Girlfriend was recently arrested where she worked at a Florida drug store for sale of alcohol to a minor. While she wasn't handcuffed or thrown into the back of a police car, they did give her a notice to appear in court, in which she had to do so almost a month later.

She was talking to her boss at the moment that an 18 year old state agent came up and purchased a can of beer. She asks his age , and he says "21". She then sells him the can of beer.

She then was informed that she sold alcohol to a minor. and that its a 2nd degree misdemeanor punishable by a maximum penalty at 60 days in jail and a $500 fine.

She's just 18, new to the world and I don't want to see it tarnished already with a criminal history (her family has a extensive criminal history)

The Notice to appear states that the officer believes she violated Florida Statute 562.11 and the description appears as follows:

---
The Def. sold 1 can Budweiser to an underage state operative. She didn't ask for any ID at all. At the time of sale, another state agent in line directly behind even asked clerk if the operative was old enough.
---

At the court appearance, she pleaded "Not Guilty" and then then she elected to have a non-jury trial. Was this a smart move?

The judge then presented an order that the state was widtholding adjudication on this matter

it read as follows:
---
ORDER ADVISING DEFENDANT THAT (ADJUDICATION OF GUILT WILL NOT BE IMPOSED) AND/OR (IMPRISONMENT WILL NOT BE IMPOSED) AND SETTING OF NON-JURY TRIAL.

This cause having come to be heard, pursuant to Rule of Criminal Procedure 3.111(b)(1) and Florida Statute 918.0157 and both the Defendant and The State Attorney, represented by an Assistant State Attorney, being present, and the State Attorney representing to this Court that the State is not seeking an adjudication nor a term of imprisonment, and the Court being advised of what the pending charges are and finding that the violation charged in this cause is punishable by a term of imprisonment of six (6) months or less and the Court being fully advised in the premises and having reviewed the file in this cause, does find and order as follows:

1. NOW, therefore it is ordered and decreed that in the event the Defendant is convicted of the crmine as charged or of any lesser included offense, a sentence of imprisonment will not be imposed and the defendant (will/will not) be adjudicated guilty.

2. NOW, therefore it is further ordered and decreed that the Defendant is not to have legal counsel appointed at the State's expense in thise cause.

3. NOW, therefore it is further ordered and decreed that the Defendant is not entitled to a jury trial and this matter shall be heard non-jury.
---

Does this mean that she won't face any jailtime? Or does this mean they're ready to just drop the matter altogether?

She was really counting on the public defender in this case. Now that she can't get public defender has her really worried, as well as myself.

When I was at highschool, a source of income was working for State Alcohol & Tobacco agents. I would attempt to purchase alcohol tobacco products, and worked with a state agent.

We were told under no circumstances that, and Florida Statute 562.11(2) states that we could not misrepresent our age when we attempted to purchase alcohol and tobacco products.

She believes the state agent Misrepresented his age in order to purchase the can of beer. I think He goofed up.

Is there a way I can get the charge dismissed because the state agent broke the law and mislead her into believing he was old enough to purchase alcohol?

She was talking to her manager at the time, and I Believe the manager heard him say he was "21".

Thanks for any help in this matter.

I cannot be sure of what this means but it seems to say that the State might be willing to issue probation without adjudication of guilt. This would mean that if she completes probation the case would be dismissed against her. She should probably speak to the clerk of the court prior to the case to confirm this. I'm guessing that this is why a public defender was not deemed necessary since there would be no chance of her being found 'guilty' because the state is not seeking such but a sentence of probation. At the same time I'm not sure what #1 means and wonder if the "will/will not" portion is a part that gets circled with the appropriate response.

I don't know if this is correct but seems to read this way. I'd be interested in hearing and hope that this is what the Notice means.

Originally posted by Skalar
My Girlfriend was recently arrested where she worked at a Florida drug store for sale of alcohol to a minor. While she wasn't handcuffed or thrown into the back of a police car, they did give her a notice to appear in court, in which she had to do so almost a month later.

She was talking to her boss at the moment that an 18 year old state agent came up and purchased a can of beer. She asks his age , and he says "21". She then sells him the can of beer.

She then was informed that she sold alcohol to a minor. and that its a 2nd degree misdemeanor punishable by a maximum penalty at 60 days in jail and a $500 fine.

She's just 18, new to the world and I don't want to see it tarnished already with a criminal history (her family has a extensive criminal history)

The Notice to appear states that the officer believes she violated Florida Statute 562.11 and the description appears as follows:

---
The Def. sold 1 can Budweiser to an underage state operative. She didn't ask for any ID at all. At the time of sale, another state agent in line directly behind even asked clerk if the operative was old enough.
---

At the court appearance, she pleaded "Not Guilty" and then then she elected to have a non-jury trial. Was this a smart move?

The judge then presented an order that the state was widtholding adjudication on this matter

it read as follows:
---
ORDER ADVISING DEFENDANT THAT (ADJUDICATION OF GUILT WILL NOT BE IMPOSED) AND/OR (IMPRISONMENT WILL NOT BE IMPOSED) AND SETTING OF NON-JURY TRIAL.

This cause having come to be heard, pursuant to Rule of Criminal Procedure 3.111(b)(1) and Florida Statute 918.0157 and both the Defendant and The State Attorney, represented by an Assistant State Attorney, being present, and the State Attorney representing to this Court that the State is not seeking an adjudication nor a term of imprisonment, and the Court being advised of what the pending charges are and finding that the violation charged in this cause is punishable by a term of imprisonment of six (6) months or less and the Court being fully advised in the premises and having reviewed the file in this cause, does find and order as follows:

1. NOW, therefore it is ordered and decreed that in the event the Defendant is convicted of the crmine as charged or of any lesser included offense, a sentence of imprisonment will not be imposed and the defendant (will/will not) be adjudicated guilty.

2. NOW, therefore it is further ordered and decreed that the Defendant is not to have legal counsel appointed at the State's expense in thise cause.

3. NOW, therefore it is further ordered and decreed that the Defendant is not entitled to a jury trial and this matter shall be heard non-jury.
---

Does this mean that she won't face any jailtime? Or does this mean they're ready to just drop the matter altogether?

She was really counting on the public defender in this case. Now that she can't get public defender has her really worried, as well as myself.

When I was at highschool, a source of income was working for State Alcohol & Tobacco agents. I would attempt to purchase alcohol tobacco products, and worked with a state agent.

We were told under no circumstances that, and Florida Statute 562.11(2) states that we could not misrepresent our age when we attempted to purchase alcohol and tobacco products.

She believes the state agent Misrepresented his age in order to purchase the can of beer. I think He goofed up.

Is there a way I can get the charge dismissed because the state agent broke the law and mislead her into believing he was old enough to purchase alcohol?

She was talking to her manager at the time, and I Believe the manager heard him say he was "21".

Thanks for any help in this matter.

We had the good fortune of consulting a lawyer for free before the pre-trial conference Monday (3/29/04)

The lawyer said that adjudication was the same as a conviction and that they weren't seeking a conviction in this case, as the state was only looking at a fine.

ie. a $206 court cost plus a $50 cost payable to the city police department.

The lawyer unfortunately convinced her that it would be unlikely that she could get off on the charge (it would be one word against another).

She couldn't have her boss come in and say anything due to the fact she does everything at the last minute and decided to prepare for this pre-trial conference only hours before the actual conference.

Therefore the State offered her the fine and she plead guilty, and a $256 fine was assessed, and this goes on her record.

Personally, If it were me, I would have gotten it together and had as many people in there that heard it as possible. And tried my best to get the state to drop its charges against me, if not, asked for a lesser charge or at least some kind of bargain the state had to offer.

If it were me, but I can't control someone else's life.. I'm not too bitter....

but thanks for your reply.

I'm so sorry to hear that. Was the prosecutor amenable to talking? I don't understand why she would plead guilty and pay the fine. What was the benefit of that and what could have happened if she lost at the hearing?

Originally posted by Skalar
We had the good fortune of consulting a lawyer for free before the pre-trial conference Monday (3/29/04)

The lawyer said that adjudication was the same as a conviction and that they weren't seeking a conviction in this case, as the state was only looking at a fine.

ie. a $206 court cost plus a $50 cost payable to the city police department.

The lawyer unfortunately convinced her that it would be unlikely that she could get off on the charge (it would be one word against another).

She couldn't have her boss come in and say anything due to the fact she does everything at the last minute and decided to prepare for this pre-trial conference only hours before the actual conference.

Therefore the State offered her the fine and she plead guilty, and a $256 fine was assessed, and this goes on her record.

Personally, If it were me, I would have gotten it together and had as many people in there that heard it as possible. And tried my best to get the state to drop its charges against me, if not, asked for a lesser charge or at least some kind of bargain the state had to offer.

If it were me, but I can't control someone else's life.. I'm not too bitter....

but thanks for your reply.

Please help !!

I have a close friend who just got into trouble for the same. It was her first day at work and the Bureau of Alcohol guys did a similar sting operation. My friend did ask for an ID but made an error calculating the person's age in her head.

My friend is concerned about this second degree misdemeanor appearing on her record and possible repurcusions when she graduates college and applies for a job or possibly applies for graduate school. Is there a way to pay the fine, but get this off her record but doing additional community service or something similar.

Please help, neither my friend of I have money to pay a lawyer enough to help us. What are options to get this off her back ?

Thanks in advance.

I hope someone reads this in time. I was also caught with the same problem as your friend, kaluram. I checked ID, but miscalculated the age. Mostly because I had been robbed and the cops had no lead (and that same night I was robbed my car was stolen from my driveway). The "undercover cop" who came in first was very loud and kept walking briskly through the isles. I got nervous and I think that is why I rushed through checking the ID. Now I have a court date end of July, and I am so scared because I also don't know what will happen when I finish college and apply for a job. I have never commited a crime and I never sell to minors. I can't believe they try to get and trick innocent people who just make a stupid mistake. They need to go after people who intentionally sell (I know about stores near my high school that would sell to minors for an extra price). Of course they don't get get, and me? We have had this family business for 12 years and never sold to minors, and this one time it happens it is me who gets it on the record instead of my parents who it wouldn't affect. I can't believe this is the government we voted for.

If someone can please offer advice I would appreciate it more than anything. I am freaking out, I don't have a lot of money (college student) and can barely sleep at night thinking about this. I am a business major and I will be working for other companies, I will never own my own business and I can't even start to imagine what it will be like to have this on my record. Something that I don't intentionally do.

Please help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back