Salaried employee

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pilgrim6171

I am a salaried worker in the state of Florida - I have been required to work sometimes 7 to 8 days in a row (anywhere between 10-14 hours a day) for quite some time. I do not punch a time clock, so there is no record of my hours work. Is this legal? I do not want to lose my job with the economy in the shape its in, but I feel like I am being taken advantage of.

Yes, it is quite legal.

I don't disagree that the hours seem long but there are only two states that place a limit on how many hours an employee can be required to work in a week/pay period and Florida is neither of them.

I am a salaried worker in the state of Florida - I have been required to work sometimes 7 to 8 days in a row (anywhere between 10-14 hours a day) for quite some time. I do not punch a time clock, so there is no record of my hours work. Is this legal? I do not want to lose my job with the economy in the shape its in, but I feel like I am being taken advantage of.
What is your salary?

Pilgrim,

It is not a case of being Salary or Hourly. It has to do with being exempt or not exempt. A non-exempt salaried person may be entitled to overtime pay.

To clarify the reason for Green Hornet's question is that one test of exempt or non- exempt per the FLSA is:

If a salaried employee earns more than $455 per week, he or she is salaried exempt (not entitled to overtime). Any salaried employee earning less than that amount is non-exempt.

The 2nd test has to do with job duties which can be more complex.

Also, if Florida law is more beneficial to the employee than Federal law, then Florida law is used.

Florida is what one of my colleagues calls a just-like-Federal state. They have a higher minimum wage for non-exempt employees but they use the Federal standard for exempt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back