Safety

Status
Not open for further replies.

ckuhn67

I am in an awkward position. My employer put me in a really bad position. I am an industrial maintenance mechanic for a large corporation. We have in place guidelines to use to hire anyone for in this position. What happened was simply they did not follow the guidelines the company has set to interview a candidate and hired an unqualified person even though it requires either 5 years of experience or schooling with electricity. They hired a person that had no experience with any industrial electricity or even household electricity. When the person was given to me to train I was not told that he had no experience with electricity at all and I was working in high voltage panels with this person there with me assuming he knew what he was doing. I had to find out on my own that the person had no knowledge of what he was supposed to have. I feel my safety was put at odds and totally ignored. Do I have a leg to stand on or is industry in the right in doing this. Also I have to add that he was an internal transfer from inside the company and was given the job unconditionally

Did you suffer any actual damages?

If not, that's all she wrote. You cannot sue for what might have happened.

You might not be able to sue YET, however, your first step should be to file a formal complaint, and send it certified mail, keeping copies for yourself. In your letter, voice your concerns that your safety is being jeopardized. The company will either hear your complaint, and take action, or discipline/fire you, in which case, as long as you don't live in a "right-to-work state" (which includes most of the southwest and midwest) you can then file suit.

Right to work means that you do not have to join a union to get work. It has nothing to do with the poster's situation.

You are referring to at-will employment, which covers every state in the US except Montana, and even includes Montana in some circumstances.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back