Roommate left, still on contract, how do I get my deposit back?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ethrinofcygnus

Four months ago my roommate left early, I didn't see him go, he left while I was at work and I haven't seen him since. I did talk to him on the phone twice, when he told me I could take any damages his cat did to the carpet out of his portion of the deposit. It's now the end of the lease (August 31st officially) and I sent in my 30 day notice. The property group which ownes the house we are renting were not aware he moved out because he never called and had himself removed from the lease. I can no longer get in touch with him to have him do so now, and they are obliged to put his name on the return deposit check because he is on the contract. This puts me in a position where I will have a return deposit check with both our names on it and no way to cash it that I know of. Is there anything I can do to get my money back from the deposit? There really is no way for me to get a hold of him anymore, even if I wanted to speak to him again (I don't, you can imagine we were not on great terms when he left anyway) and he certainly wouldn't come help me cash it even if I could find him. Can I do anything at all here to get my money back (the deposit was $1300 for this place so even just my half would help me immensely with the cleaning costs of the house and moving into a new apartment)? Are there any options I could ask my property group to utilize such as two seperate deposit checks or anything like that?

Ask for two checks.

One in your name for your half.

The other in his name for his half.

Don't accept his half.

Have the landlord mail it to his last known address.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back