Roomate

PMARPER

Jurisdiction
Texas
I have lived with my partner for over two years. He told me to get out of the house and that he would throw my belongings on the street. My name is not on the lease. What legal rights do I have to get my personal property? Can he legally lock me out an refuse to allow me in to get my belongings?

Can he do it? Yes.
Doorsr it matter if your name is on the lease? No.
Can he be forced to let you back in if he does do it? No.
Do you have civil options through the court to seek damages if he follows through on his threat? Yes.

The situation is apparently toxic and not good for you to try and remain. If your only concern is recovery of your property them plan ahead and all local law enforcer to come and "keep the peace" while you get your stuff.
Their presence is usually enough to keep everyone cooperative. Bring extra help with you to speed things along... The officer won't wait all day while you pack your bags.

Can he be forced to let you back in if he does do it? No.
I disagree with this. The OP will surely be viewed as a tenant by the police. The police will inform the boyfriend of this and advise him that he is not allowed to lock out a tenant. The boyfriend will be advised that he needs to go to court to properly have her removed.

This is a civil issue. Police can not force the landlord/owner to allow someone into the residence. Any cost associated with a lockout or other illegal eviction can be adressed in civil court.
Police won't do anything more than explain options to both parties, and maybe document any dispute.

He told me to get out of the house and that he would throw my belongings on the street.

When someone tells you to get, most people GET for three reasons: 1 = to preserve their dignity;
2 = most people don't wish to remain where they are no longer wanted;
3 = to avoid physical harm to one or more parties

My name is not on the lease.

That likely means little in the legal resolution as to whether TWO years cohabiting a premises with another party has certain legal rights in a Fort Worth Municipal or Tarrant County JP Court (presuming you reside in Ft. Worth city or county).

Yours is a potential civil matter which will be resolved AFTER you take your case before a JP Court in Tarrant County or Ft. Worth City.

What is your case?

That is for you to decide, however, based on your revelations it'll be an unlawful eviction or for an order of protection against the offending party.

If you believe your life or safety is jeopardized, you should speak with a domestic violence counselor or crisis center, the sheriff or police have information on such agencies serving your part of the county or city.

What legal rights do I have to get my personal property?

I believe that issue has been asked and answered above.

Can he legally lock me out an refuse to allow me in to get my belongings?

I believe that issue has been asked and answered above.

Back