Role of Exexutor/trix when a will is not probated

Status
Not open for further replies.

saoirse317

Role of Executor/trix when a will is not probated

Hello there. Hope you can help with this one...

My father passed away last August. According to advice from a lawyer my parents were using at the time, the will did not need to be probated because his assets all passed to my mother through right of survivorship. No problem there.

The problem I am encountering has to do with who has what obligation/authority considering the will was not probated.

My brother and I were listed as co-executors. But, the will was not probated, there were no assets to disburse and my sister and I - who are geographically closer to my mother and have been more intimately invovled in helping her with her personal affairs (she's disabled) - took care of all the paperwork for life insurance claims. (My mother was the beneficiary.) The only thing that still needs to be done is the final taxes, and here is where there is some disagreement.

Both my sister and I have been advised by our respective tax consultants that my mother should file her annual income tax return as a joint filing, and include the income my father received up until the date of his death. As POA for my mother, my sister has handled this. It seems logical to me. We were both also advised that a final tax return needed to be filed on the part of my father's estate.

The question then, is who has the responsibility to handle the two different tax returns, considering the will was never probated? The lawyer my mother consults periodically says it's her responsiblity, as surviving spouse, to handle both. (In which case, my sister was correct in filing the annual income tax return as POA for my mom.) My brother, on the other hand, thinks that it should be his responsibility to do both returns, since he was listed as co-executor. He believes this is the case, even though the will was never probated and neither of us had to officially act in the capacity of Executor/trix.

If you could help clear this up it would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
I agree with your ma's attorney.

You should also ask if there is a way that a will can just be filed (not probated) in the probate court.

Some state statutes say, for example, that if a will is not filed within a year of the death of the person who made the will, then any will is void.

It has been known that assets pop up that no one knows about.

Thank you. Now if I could only get my brother to believe me!

And thanks for the advice on filing the will, even though it does not have to be probated. I have the original and can handle that, if it turns out to be necessary.

MC

Last edited:

Now if I could only get my brother to believe me!

Yes, that can be a real challenge. You may want to ask him why he thinks he is a personal representative since nothing has been filed with the probate court. Until a will is filed AND probate is started, a will is just a document and nothing else. The filing and probating is what gives the will authority.

Just called the Register of Wills for the county where my father lived, and they confirmed there is no need to either file or probate the will.

I see you are a registered user, Senior Judge. Are you a qualified attorney? Maybe my brother will believe you! :angel (that's me praying)

Just called the Register of Wills for the county where my father lived, and they confirmed there is no need to either file or probate the will.

I see you are a registered user, Senior Judge. Are you a qualified attorney? Maybe my brother will believe you! :angel (that's me praying)

Somewhat qualified, yes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back