Rogue Landscapers

Michelle1302

Jurisdiction
Ohio
My hired landscapers put rock down next to my driveway at the direction of my neighbor. The rocks are on my property and the neighbor paid them to do so, however, now the city says the rocks must be removed. The landscapers refuse and claim they have no responsibility. Can I sue them for the cost to remove said rocks?

My hired landscapers put rock down next to my driveway at the direction of my neighbor. The rocks are on my property and the neighbor paid them to do so, however, now the city says the rocks must be removed. The landscapers refuse and claim they have no responsibility. Can I sue them for the cost to remove said rocks?
Who do you mean when you ask about suing "them"?

The landscapers? Almost certainly not.
The neighbor? Almost certainly.
The city? Definitely not.

(This is setting aside the fact that this is America, where you can sue just about anybody for just about anything at just about any time.)

Who do you mean when you ask about suing "them"?

The landscapers? Almost certainly not.
The neighbor? Almost certainly.
The city? Definitely not.

(This is setting aside the fact that this is America, where you can sue just about anybody for just about anything at just about any time.)

The Landscapers is who I am asking about- I don't want to sue anyone but how can a landscaper put something on my property without my permission. The landscapers service our lawn they are well aware of the property lines.

The Landscapers is who I am asking about- I don't want to sue anyone but how can a landscaper put something on my property without my permission. The landscapers service our lawn they are well aware of the property lines.
Who paid to have the rocks put there? (That's who they were working for...sue that guy. Heck, sue them both, can't hurt.)

Who paid to have the rocks put there? (That's who they were working for...sue that guy. Heck, sue them both, can't hurt.)

Damages = cost of removal/disposal + any city fines.

Maybe you can sell the rocks to someone else that wants to use them. You can do that - they're on your property. And if the neighbor complains that they paid for the rocks - tell them that they should have located the rocks on their own property rather than giving you an unwanted gift.

And do get a new landscaper.

Damages = cost of removal/disposal + any city fines.

Maybe you can sell the rocks to someone else that wants to use them. You can do that - they're on your property. And if the neighbor complains that they paid for the rocks - tell them that they should have located the rocks on their own property rather than giving you an unwanted gift.

And do get a new landscaper.
Amen!
Thanks for your input I appreciate it!

My hired landscapers put rock down next to my driveway at the direction of my neighbor.

Why did your landscaper take direction from your neighbor? When you first saw the rocks that presumably weren't supposed to be there, did you talk to the landscaper about it? If not, why not? If so, what response did you receive? Have you spoken with the neighbor about it? If not, why not? If so, what response did you receive?

now the city says the rocks must be removed.

"The city"? Who at the city (not a name; a title)? Why does the city give a rat's backside about rocks on your property?

Can I sue them for the cost to remove said rocks?

Anyone can sue anyone for anything. Provide some more information (including relevant dates), and I'll have further thoughts about this. That said, why not remove the rocks yourself?

how can a landscaper put something on my property without my permission.

That seems like a pointless question. They can put things there whether or not they have permission.

Back