1. Free Legal Help, Legal Forms and Lawyers. TheLaw.com has been providing free legal assistance online since 1995. Our most popular destinations for legal help are below. It only takes a minute to join our legal community!

Dismiss Notice

Rogue Landscapers

Discussion in 'Consumer Law, Contracts, Warranties' started by Michelle1302, Jun 9, 2022.

1. Michelle1302

Michelle1302 Law Topic Starter New Member

Jurisdiction:
    Ohio
    My hired landscapers put rock down next to my driveway at the direction of my neighbor. The rocks are on my property and the neighbor paid them to do so, however, now the city says the rocks must be removed. The landscapers refuse and claim they have no responsibility. Can I sue them for the cost to remove said rocks?

2. Zigner

Zigner Well-Known Member

Who do you mean when you ask about suing "them"?

The landscapers? Almost certainly not.
    The neighbor? Almost certainly.
    The city? Definitely not.

(This is setting aside the fact that this is America, where you can sue just about anybody for just about anything at just about any time.)

3. Michelle1302

The Landscapers is who I am asking about- I don't want to sue anyone but how can a landscaper put something on my property without my permission. The landscapers service our lawn they are well aware of the property lines.

4. Zigner

Zigner Well-Known Member

Who paid to have the rocks put there? (That's who they were working for...sue that guy. Heck, sue them both, can't hurt.)

Red Kayak likes this.
  5. Red Kayak

Red Kayak Well-Known Member

Damages = cost of removal/disposal + any city fines.

Maybe you can sell the rocks to someone else that wants to use them. You can do that - they're on your property. And if the neighbor complains that they paid for the rocks - tell them that they should have located the rocks on their own property rather than giving you an unwanted gift.

And do get a new landscaper.

Michelle1302 likes this.
  6. Michelle1302

Amen!
    Thanks for your input I appreciate it!

7. zddoodah

zddoodah Well-Known Member

Why did your landscaper take direction from your neighbor? When you first saw the rocks that presumably weren't supposed to be there, did you talk to the landscaper about it? If not, why not? If so, what response did you receive? Have you spoken with the neighbor about it? If not, why not? If so, what response did you receive?

"The city"? Who at the city (not a name; a title)? Why does the city give a rat's backside about rocks on your property?

Anyone can sue anyone for anything. Provide some more information (including relevant dates), and I'll have further thoughts about this. That said, why not remove the rocks yourself?

That seems like a pointless question. They can put things there whether or not they have permission.