Rights to property

Status
Not open for further replies.

Momof208

My husband has suggested divorce for the last yr, we have no kids and have been married for 11 yrs. He came into inheritance money thru his dad in 2004, he put that money on the house as a downpayment ( we brought the house in June 2004 ). The inheritance was for 100k. We split the mortgage and property taxes. If he files for divorce, will he get back the 100k if we decide to sell or am i just entitled to the equity?

Thank you.

How much (in $) have each of y'all put into that land?

We purchased the house for 210k he put down 100k, we financed 110k then we took out a home equity loan for 40k ( to pay off bills and build a garage ) then we took out another loan 2 yrs ago for 20k. we owe 170.00 ( roughly ) now on the house.
He paid off my credit cards with the 20k loan and kept the remainder, he has it in his savings account. My name is not on his checking or savings accounts.
I make 25k a yr and he makes 57k a yr. I pay for his medical and dental thru my work. The house was appraised at 240k 2 yrs ago.

We purchased the house for 210k he put down 100k, we financed 110k then we took out a home equity loan for 40k ( to pay off bills and build a garage ) then we took out another loan 2 yrs ago for 20k. we owe 170.00 ( roughly ) now on the house.
He paid off my credit cards with the 20k loan and kept the remainder, he has it in his savings account. My name is not on his checking or savings accounts.
I make 25k a yr and he makes 57k a yr. I pay for his medical and dental thru my work. The house was appraised at 240k 2 yrs ago.

Interesting.

Now please answer the following question. (The answer will have two figures; one for you and one for him):

How much (in $) have each of y'all put into that land?

You need to see an attorney. If the inheritance was co-mingled with community property, he may be out of luck in getting it back.

He put 100k into the house, he did not want me to take out any money out of my 401k to help with the purchase of the home. So, he put 100k into it, i did not put anything in. BUT I did sign for the 2 equity loans.

He received the inheritance during our marriage. Both our names are the deed to the house. He said he wants to get back what he put into it. We live in RI and i dont know what the laws are regarding inheritance and community property.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back