Rights of new owner of logo copyright

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctredinnick

My jurisdiction is: WV/United States

I purchased a logo image (works made for hire) that was drawn by an artist in Germany for my on-line group. The logo image was sent to me via email by the artist and I paid $70 to her. I also purchased the copyright to that logo from the same artist for an additional $70. The copyright was sent to me via email in a pdf document (typed by the artist). There are no limitations specified on the copyright that was sold to me.

The artist is now saying that I cannot do anything with her logo and that she owns the copyright. She wants to send the funds back to me for the logo and the copyright.

Do I have the right to do whatever I want with the logo including selling items with individual parts of the logo?

Last edited:
If you had a work for hire agreement that was completed, you own the finished work. She can request to buy the rights to the logo back but the original creator sold the rights to you. It's no different than selling a car - if it's your car, the only question at this point is whether you want to sell the car back to the original owner. This is my thought based upon the facts you presented to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back