Rights as a married person living in Maryland

Status
Not open for further replies.

Audrey_Smith

What are my marital rights in Maryland upon separation and/or divorce?

Residing in Maryland - What are my marital rights?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have been married for twenty years. I have two teernage daughters. My husband and I have an up and down day marriage. Sometimes I leave because I can't stand how he talks and treats me on those down days. Other times, we are at peace with each other. If I do separate from him one day, what are my marital rights. We have a house, but it is only in his and his brother's names. My husband is the only one that pays the mortgage and uitility bills. His brother puts forth money when things go wrong with the house, etc. roofing work, appliances, heating and furnace applicances. Their grandmother left them money and they put the money into a house for a good investment. I am not on my husband's checking account or retirement plan. I am not on the car ownership, but I do have the car insurance in my name. All utility bills are in his name only. He says that I will not get anything out of the marriage, that everything will go to the children. I haven't been that good of a wife, but he hasn't been that good of a husband either. I love him, can't stand the abuse, and wethering if I should stick it out or leave while I am still kind of young. Age 52 in Maryland. Audrey Smith

Continuation of What are my rights as a married person living in Maryland

I wrote already about what are my rights upon separation and/or divorce in Maryland, but I need to continue with another saga in my up and down marital relationship. My husband and his brother are owner's on our house in which I and the children reside as well as my husband. We have been married for 20 years. Now he talks about writing his ownership over to his brother so that I wouldn't get anything. Can he do that and keep me out of any monies on his part if we lose the house and have to move on to other places with or without my husband? I have worked hard and long in this relationship. I don't work a full time job and I will need the extra income to get myself started alone in the world. Give me some advice please. Audrey C Smith

A common tactic of a husband is to say "I'll make sure I leave you with nothing." This is usually never the case, especially after a 20 year marriage. Without knowing the specific details of your case, I cannot tell you what will happen but you will likely be awarded a substantial portion of the marital estate and not "left with nothing."

Having seen this happen all too often, if there is significant abuse in the marriage (and it happens more often than most would believe) then think about divorce if it is seriously beyond repair. You may be best served by having a confidential consultation with a divorce attorney who can more readily address specifically what you may be looking at. If you need assistance in finding an attorney then just contact TheLaw.com and someone will be glad to assist you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back