rightful share of assets

Status
Not open for further replies.

jessicarabbit

married 32 years-the last 12 living appart.
currently my father gives my mother $200 a month and she still has medical insurance.
my father is now asking to be legally divorced and offered my mother a $10,000 settlement.
They own a home, savings accounts, he has pension plan..... can she keep her medical insurance?
We have no idea what she is entitled to. Help!!!!!

Your mother should consult with a lawyer. I think you also have to include more information so those with more knowledge can reply to your post. For example, who lives in the house, whose name is on the title, are the savings accounts held jointly, did they file for a legal separation 12 years ago (or since), what does he suggest they do with the house, are there any dependents involved?

She should definitely NOT accept a $10,000 settlement without informed advice.

She is entitled to a portion of the pension plan while they were married. This includes the 12 years even though they lived apart. She probably also has an interest in the house. If the savings accounts are in both names she probably needs to freeze those pending the divorce or at least take out her portion.

Bottom line is she needs an attorney. 10,000 sounds very low for 20 years but it depends on the circumstances.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back