Right of way and liability

S

ShaneS

Jurisdiction
Ohio
My father was let out of a parking lot by stopped traffic turning right. He crossed one lane of stopped traffic to an open left turn lane where traffic was also backed up. The front nose of his car was in the turn lane as he was the last one in line. Once traffic started to move before my father could move, a car came speeding down the turn lane and hit the drivers side corner of my father's car with the passenger side of theirs. Who is at fault? My father was partially in the turn lane stopped.

As you describe it, fault should be with the other driver.
Of course, the other driver is going to claim your father "came out of nowhere".
Are there any independent witnesses? Are there traffic cameras or any other surveillance cameras near the intersection?
If he can find video it could help the insurance companies sort it out.

My father was let out of a parking lot by stopped traffic turning right. He crossed one lane of stopped traffic to an open left turn lane where traffic was also backed up. The front nose of his car was in the turn lane as he was the last one in line. Once traffic started to move before my father could move, a car came speeding down the turn lane and hit the drivers side corner of my father's car with the passenger side of theirs. Who is at fault? My father was partially in the turn lane stopped.

Fault (legally referred to as LIABILITY) can only be determined after trial by a judge or jury.

Anything other than a proper verdict is mere conjecture.

Back