Revising website 'whois', False information

Status
Not open for further replies.

user101

What fallout would come from an original domain name holder revising the whois information of his or her website to reflect falsely that another person is the true owner of the website (ie: name, address, etc.) causing that person to contact the registrar, obtain physical ownership of said domain, and suing the original owner of the domain for the cost of anonymizing said whois information.

Would the lawsuit filed a) go anywhere, b) allow that party to discover the identity of the original owner.

Is it illegal to revise whois information of a website to inaccurately list another as the owner when he or she is not?

Thanks!

That depends on how you are revising this info, and whether or not doing so might potentially place the person whom you are directing it to into potential financial or personal harm. If you have to access a system that you do not legally have access to, or are providing another person's personal identifying information such that it would constitute identity theft, you could be committing a crime.

Why would you do this? How would you do this?

The change did not put the person in potential financial or personal harm. I did not access a system that I did not legally have access to.

I don't even understand this. If Mr. A puts Mr. B's name and address as the registrar, Mr. B is the legal owner of the domain. If this was done to harass Mr. B, e.g. a sexually suggestive domain, and Mr. A paid with his credit card, Mr. B could sue for intent to cause emotional distress for starters. That would be a fairly simple case to make.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back