Return of Signing Bonus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Volant9353

I worked at rite Aid as a pharmacist. In addition to my salary I was offered a 10k signing bonus, 5k at the beginning of employment and 5k at the end of the 12th month, for completing 12 continues months at right aid. I decided to leave after 9 months and the promissory note I signed states I need to return any signing bonus if I do not complete 12 continues months. Since the actual signing bonus was for 10k for 12 months and I only received 5k and worked 9 months is there anyway I would not have to return the signing bonus? If I do need to return the bonus, is there anyway I would not have to return the whole 5k? Any help or examples of case law in this matter would be appreciated.

Thanks

Since the actual signing bonus was for 10k for 12 months and I only received 5k and worked 9 months is there anyway I would not have to return the signing bonus?
No

If I do need to return the bonus, is there anyway I would not have to return the whole 5k?
You will have to return the net of the 5K you received.

Any help or examples of case law in this matter would be appreciated.
Companies usually prorate the bonus by the length of time worked. I don't see in your posting that Rite Aid stated on their promissory note that this would be the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back