Retirement Benefits from an Ex-spouse

Status
Not open for further replies.

MsLady

What does the law say about a wife receiving a portion of her husband's retirement benefits if they were married for more than ten years before a divorce?

If I had been married to my husband for 15 years before we divorced, am I not entitled to a portion of his retirement? Does this entitlement have to have been written into the divorce decree or is it understood that because we were married over ten years (than by law) I am entitled to some of his retirment?

What type of information is required by an employer that would alert them to the fact that an ex-spouse is entitle to a portion of an employee's retirement?

Originally posted by Ms.Lady:
What does the law say about a wife receiving a portion of her husband's retirement benefits if they were married for more than ten years before a divorce?

If I had been married to my husband for 15 years before we divorced, am I not entitled to a portion of his retirement? Does this entitlement have to have been written into the divorce decree or is it understood that because we were married over ten years (than by law) I am entitled to some of his retirment?

What type of information is required by an employer that would alert them to the fact that an ex-spouse is entitle to a portion of an employee's retirement?
Did you have a divorce? Was there a settlement decree?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back