Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft retail theft. Need advice please (1st)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ashame

I went into a store name in WI and grabbed some items I was going to purchase. While walking around, I saw an item that cost about $9. That was my horrible decision mistake. I decided to take the item out of its little plastic cover and put it in my pocket. At that time I didn't have much cash due to bills and waiting for the next paycheck. I only had $30 cash with me which I had to use $10 for gas and didn't have enough cash to cover that $9 item. I went to the cash register and checked out. Walked out the door and the LP and security came after me. They told me they saw what I did and ask me to give them the item. I took the item out of my pocket and gave it to them. They took me to the their office and took down my information, ID, and took a pic of me. They also told me they called the police and after 15min, the police came. The police didn't read the miranda rights. He asked me why i did it and told him I didn't have enough cash. After that, the police and I went outside to this car and I got in, he wrote me a ticket. I'm 22 yrsold and in college, I have a wife and daughter. I should've known better. I deeply regret what I did. I'm embarass to face my wife and family. No one knows about this yet except for my wife.

My question is:

I. When the police gave me the citation, is it a charged right there? If so, will it appear in my record right away?

II. On the ticket, the "appearence required stated :NO." the cop told me I don't have to go to court if I pay the ticket. I read on the forum that it's better to have an lawyer or plead not guilty and ask for a PD on the first trial. Give me our opinion on this please.

III. I read alot of the posts and made an appointment to meet a criminal defense attorney for a free consultation. The only thing I have with me at the moment are the ticket and the paper the LP gave me (saying they have a claim against me for damages resulting retail theft, is the the civil demand?), will that be enought information to discuss with the lawyer in 2 days?

IV. I work at a retail store name in the recieving department for almost a year, Will they be told about it?

V. If I decide to go to court with a lawyer on the day, Do the court need to know about it? or can the lawyer just appear?

VI. This is my first offense and I have a clean background, What are the chances of this case getting dropped or eligibility for a diversion?

VII. Will taking the anti-theft class benefit me?

Sorry for asking so many questions, I'm deeply saddened for my action and havnt' been sleeping and eating well lately. My court date won't be until 2.5weeks. Please give advice.

I forgot:

The LP and security handed me 2 sheets of paper to sign and told me I have the option to sign it. I told them I didn't want to sign it.

I. When the police gave me the citation, is it a charged right there? If so, will it appear in my record right away?
You were given a citation so yes there is some record of that

II. On the ticket, the "appearence required stated :NO." the cop told me I don't have to go to court if I pay the ticket. I read on the forum that it's better to have an lawyer or plead not guilty and ask for a PD on the first trial. Give me our opinion on this please.
You already know our opinion on that. Just paying the fine could amount as same as guilty plea and result in criminal record

III. I read alot of the posts and made an appointment to meet a criminal defense attorney for a free consultation. The only thing I have with me at the moment are the ticket and the paper the LP gave me (saying they have a claim against me for damages resulting retail theft, is the the civil demand?), will that be enought information to discuss with the lawyer in 2 days?
The Civil Demand issue has nothing to do with criminal case. Yes that should be enough for your consultation

IV. I work at a retail store name in the recieving department for almost a year, Will they be told about it?
Do you mean will the victim call them? Not likely but if your name was submitted to retail theft database or anyone tells them they could find out

V. If I decide to go to court with a lawyer on the day, Do the court need to know about it? or can the lawyer just appear?
The Lawyer can just appear with you it should be fine. Ask during consultation

VI. This is my first offense and I have a clean background, What are the chances of this case getting dropped or eligibility for a diversion?
Ask during your consultation that Attorney will know the criteria and availabilty of such programs

It cant hurt

About the citation fee, do I need to pay it or just go to court and not pay it and plead not guilty or if I have a lawyer, should I not pay ityet? I'm lost on that part.

update from consulting:

I went to talk to a lawyer about what I did. I told him what happened and how I regretted doing it, etc. Handed over the ticket to the lawyer. He looked at it, he told me the police only gave me a ticket. It was not a misdeamenor nor was a summon to court. He also told me that I did not need to hire a lawyer for this. He told me to just pay it off. and also said it won't show up in my criminal record. In other words, he said this ticket is just like a speeding ticket. He also said if I applied for a job and if it asked if I have committed a crime, conviction, or felony, i should check no because I wasn't charged for any of those. Can someone give me your opinion on this? I've only talked to one lawyer so far. Should I consult with another lawyer to see if it's the same? All that was on the ticket was a fine, court date(not a summon/optional), and said ORDINANCE VIOLATED.

Since we have not seen ticket its hard for us to say. I suggest you talk to other lawyers. You can also give us the violationj code on ticket that will help as well. Just a note if the store belongs to the retail theft database they likely inputted your name there. This means any subscriber to said datbase(s) will have access to knowledge you have stolen even without criminal prosecution

the ticket just gives the description

ordinance violated: 24.22
and then states ordinance description: retail theft up to $15.00/ (1st).

on the ticket,

the officer printed out a page with the court date and appearance required: NO. the amount i have to pay is on the right side.

below that is my information

and then the ordinance violated with the ordinance description. when, where, time, then location,

and then the officer name and ID.

then instructions what to do if it was a mandatory or appearance not manditory, or wishing to dispute the citation.

thats about it.

Hard to say. It sounds like infraction but petty theft is generally a misdemeanor. You need to take this citation to another Attorney. I have contacted another member from this site as well who may have better info for you. Its just a matter of when he gets here to read topic. His username is cdwjava

ashame said:
It will still have to go through a prosecuting attorney and be filed with the court before it is officially charged. A record of the citation will exist with the citing agency, but no state level criminal history will exist simply as a result of the citation.

Depending on state law and the potential penalty for this offense, an attorney may not be appointed to assist you. You should probably seek a consultation with an attorney, but this may be no more than the equivalent pf a traffic ticket.

An attorney can probably tell you how serious this offense can be.

They may not be told about it, but if they find out you may very well lose your job.

The lawyer can appear with you. The lawyer would know what to do.

It depends on the laws in your state and the programs available where you are.

No way to know just now. They likely would not hurt.

When the officer issued me a ticket, how will I know if i was summon to court? does it say on the ticket : appearance required: YES? or what? How would I know that the ticket he gave me was a misdeamenor? Does it show on the ticket? I'm lost on that. I don't see anywhere where it says a misdeamenor.

When I went in to consult with the attorney, he thought I was charged with a misdeamenor, but when he looked at the ticket that the cop gave me, he said I wasn't charged nor was I summon to court. He said the ticket is just like a speeding ticket. Any suggestion? I know I'm repeating myself.

Without seeing the actual ticket its hard to say. If the Attorney you spoke with saw ticket he was in position to answer that. the concern I would have is if you pay the ticket without appearence will this show as criminla conviction or not. If its an infraction it wont anything else will

On the ticket, if the court summoned me, appearance required: yes. Am I correct on that? If on the ticket, Appearence required: NO. Does that mean the court didn't summon me? Just confused on that.

Not requiring appearence does not always mean this is not a misdemaor or wont go on record. take your ticket to another Attorney for clarification.

UPDATE:

After consulting with 2 attorneys, they said the citation I received was a municipal ordinance violation, not a misdemeanor. The first attorney I met with told me the citation I received was like a parking ticket violation. He suggested I should pay the fine and the civil demand. I talked to and asked the second attorney I met with what the best course of action I should take. He said I should go to court and plead not guilty and meet with the prosecuter and discuss with him. He said if I pay the citation, a conviction will appear on my criminal record. I also asked him if I plead not guilty, am I able to request a public defender. He told me no since it was a forfeiture. My court date is in 6 days and I'm not sure what to do. I'm thinking about going to court and pleading not guilty and talk to the prosecutor to see if we could work something out. Not sure If I need to hire a lawyer. If I decide to go to court, should I pay the fine or not? Also I just recieved the civil demand letter last week. Should I pay or not pay it? I researched some cases where people avoid paying the civil demand. Any suggestions would help greatly! Thanks.

I suggest paying civil demand. since you are not being allowed an Attorney you will be forced to deal with DA yourself. Ask DA if you plead "no contest" and pay a fine that your record can remain clear?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back