1. Free Legal Help, Legal Forms and Lawyers. TheLaw.com has been providing free legal assistance online since 1995. Our most popular destinations for legal help are below. It only takes a minute to join our legal community!

Dismiss Notice

Restitution resulting from Federal Fraud charges Fraud, Embezzlement, Bad Checks

Discussion in 'Criminal Charges' started by MarcSpecial, Nov 6, 2019.

1. MarcSpecial

MarcSpecial Law Topic Starter New Member

Jurisdiction:
    Georgia
    I was charged with a federal conspiracy crime around healthcare fraud and given restitution. I served the prison term. The base level offense has do to with someone else's business and the government conceded that I never got any of "fruits of the crime". There was a Supreme Court ruling by the name of "Honeycutt" the week before I got sentenced in 2017 which I interpret as the government no longer being able to make you responsible for losses connected to a business you have no ownership interest in and where you received none of the money resulting from the fraud. The courts essentially said in a post conviction motion that restitution cannot be addressed from prison because it's not a liberty matter. I need clarification on this please.

2. Zigner

Zigner Well-Known Member

This would be a great topic of discussion between you and your attorney.

justblue likes this.
  3. army judge

army judge Super Moderator

I suggest you discuss this with your defense attorney, or hire an attorney to assist you.

To seek a remedy you believe is available to you requires you to embark upon some affirmative act, usually petitioning a court (in this case a federal court) to blanket you in the relief you believe is applicable to you.