Repossession procedures and notifications in NY

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bushwickboy

My jurisdiction is: NY

I am trying to find out what the law in New York state says about the proper notifications to send to persons whose cars are being repossessed. So far I have found out that it is not necessary to notify repossessees (new word?) when the repossession is about to take place.

However I have spoken to a lawyer who says it is important to send several notifications during and after default on the loan, but he was unable to provide details. While our bank does send out regular notifications about delinquency (30 day letters, 60 day letters, final notices) we do not have anything geared specifically towards auto loans or any notifications regarding potential repossession.

So my question is, are there any "extra" notifications needed for auto borrowers as opposed to regular consumer loans, or are 30/60 day and final notices enough?

Thanks.

Delinquent notices are a courtesy as you signed a legally binding contract which spells out your due date--- no one is required to send you a letter that they are going to Repo your car before they repo it ( otherwise you would hide it) but once they repo it they are to send you a 10 day notice to redeem your car (they may have you PIF the loan in order to get it back) once the care is sold they are to send you a detail list of the cost to repair your car the amount the car sold for and your remaining bal- other then those 2 letters they don't have to send anything else.

Repossession

Dear Bushwick Boy,

I am looking to make a documentary on repossession in the tri-state area. Would you be interested in telling your story?

Thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back