Replacement of carpet due to pet damage

C

CodyTN

Jurisdiction
Tennessee
I am in need of some advice concerning what I should have to pay for carpet replacement that my cats damaged a portion of. The carpet that they damaged was under one of the bedroom doors and some of the stairs. The landlord has taken my $600 security deposit and insists that I pay $100 more for re carpeting a portion of the upstairs. I will add that the carpet was atleast 2 years old when I moved in and I lived there for 3 years, making the carpet atleast 5 years old. There were rips in the downstairs carpet ( I have pictures) and stains on the upstairs carpet when I moved in. They are getting that I have to pay $700 by simply dividing the total cost of all carpet($2100) by 3. They won't even tell me why it's divided by 3. They are also tacking on an extra $50 for missing blinds, bringing my grand total to $750. I feel that this is way too much for just a portion of the upstairs to be re carpeted and they should factor in depreciation. I have not agreed to pay anything yet and would just like to know if I'm being taken advantage of. Thanks.

What does your lease say?

Do you have a pre move-in walkthrough checklist signed by the LL to go along with those pics?

Do you have a move-out walkthrough checklist signed by the LL and pics to go along with that?

Does the checklist make note of the carpet condition as you state?

Are the pics time/date stamped?

Were the cats authorized to be on premise by the LL as written on the lease?

As for the cost to replace carpet...have you seen the invoice or estimate to do so? All depends on the type of carpet (some carpet is 600 dollars per square yard, some is so cheap you can do a whole home with), size of room and location (stairs are more labor than a 10x10 room).

I am in need of some advice concerning what I should have to pay for carpet replacement that my cats damaged a portion of. The carpet that they damaged was under one of the bedroom doors and some of the stairs. The landlord has taken my $600 security deposit and insists that I pay $100 more for re carpeting a portion of the upstairs. I will add that the carpet was atleast 2 years old when I moved in and I lived there for 3 years, making the carpet atleast 5 years old. There were rips in the downstairs carpet ( I have pictures) and stains on the upstairs carpet when I moved in. They are getting that I have to pay $700 by simply dividing the total cost of all carpet($2100) by 3. They won't even tell me why it's divided by 3. They are also tacking on an extra $50 for missing blinds, bringing my grand total to $750. I feel that this is way too much for just a portion of the upstairs to be re carpeted and they should factor in depreciation. I have not agreed to pay anything yet and would just like to know if I'm being taken advantage of. Thanks.

You don't have to give him another dime.
He can then sue you for the lousy $100.
He might prevail, depending on how courts in your county favor landlords or tenants.

If I were you, I'd pay the $100 to make this go away.
However, if you decide to do that, make sure you get a receipt and a short statement signed by the LL and you absolving you of further costs related to the apartment and a promise not to ding your credit.

You're paying the $100 to make sure no harmful information is reported to the agencies LLs use to do background checks on prospective tenants and to protect your credit.

Fighting over a $100 isn't worth it, because you have too much to put at risk.

What does your lease say?

Do you have a pre move-in walkthrough checklist signed by the LL to go along with those pics?

Do you have a move-out walkthrough checklist signed by the LL and pics to go along with that?

Does the checklist make note of the carpet condition as you state?

Are the pics time/date stamped?

Were the cats authorized to be on premise by the LL as written on the lease?

As for the cost to replace carpet...have you seen the invoice or estimate to do so? All depends on the type of carpet (some carpet is 600 dollars per square yard, some is so cheap you can do a whole home with), size of room and location (stairs are more labor than a 10x10 room).
I have a pre move in inspection sheet and it was not done with the landlord but I did fax it to her the day after it was done because she advised me to do that. She does acknowledge that it exists. I did put that there was carpet damage on it. I did not do one for after I moved out but she sent me pictures of the damages and I do own up to the parts my cats actually damaged. All of my pictures are date and time stamped of damages before move in.
The cats were authorized to be on the premise. I paid $300 pet rent which apparently covers nothing other than my cats living there.
I asked to see an estimate but she didn't send me one and all I have is her word pretty much. She's claiming it costs $2100 to re carpet approx 1000sqft.

You don't have to give him another dime.
He can then sue you for the lousy $100.
He might prevail, depending on how courts in your county favor landlords or tenants.

If I were you, I'd pay the $100 to make this go away.
However, if you decide to do that, make sure you get a receipt and a short statement signed by the LL and you absolving you of further costs related to the apartment and a promise not to ding your credit.

You're paying the $100 to make sure no harmful information is reported to the agencies LLs use to do background checks on prospective tenants and to protect your credit.

Fighting over a $100 isn't worth it, because you have too much to put at risk.
Thanks for your advice. It's hard to give up $750 for something that seems so unfairly calculated, but in the end I don't want my credit ruined as I do have good credit. At first they told me they were going to bill me for the cost of all the carpet, but I fought that hard. They are just trying to squeeze anything they can out of me it seems.

I have a pre move in inspection sheet and it was not done with the landlord but I did fax it to her the day after it was done because she advised me to do that. She does acknowledge that it exists. I did put that there was carpet damage on it. I did not do one for after I moved out but she sent me pictures of the damages and I do own up to the parts my cats actually damaged. All of my pictures are date and time stamped of damages before move in.
The cats were authorized to be on the premise. I paid $300 pet rent which apparently covers nothing other than my cats living there.
I asked to see an estimate but she didn't send me one and all I have is her word pretty much. She's claiming it costs $2100 to re carpet approx 1000sqft.

Sounds like a typical deadbeat landlord. They use your deposit and fees to pad their pockets, oftentimes not using it to make the repairs they claim they are. So all in with the pet deposit they want you out $1050. I'd try and negotiate with them to a more reasonable amount knowing damn well there is no way they are spending 2100 dollars on some carpet for a 1000 sq ft apartment.

Like the judge states, be mindful of your credit rating; people like this love to screw you over for an additional 3-5 years after they have ripped you off on the deposit and fees.

Sounds like a typical deadbeat landlord. They use your deposit and fees to pad their pockets, oftentimes not using it to make the repairs they claim they are. So all in with the pet deposit they want you out $1050. I'd try and negotiate with them to a more reasonable amount knowing damn well there is no way they are spending 2100 dollars on some carpet for a 1000 sq ft apartment.

Like the judge states, be mindful of your credit rating; people like this love to screw you over for an additional 3-5 years after they have ripped you off on the deposit and fees.
I am going to try and see if I can negotiate the cost down some. That price seemed a bit excessive to me too. Also I didn't like that they charged me $50 to install blinds, that really blows my mind. I beat myself up all the time about forgetting to replace them. Thanks for the advice.

I am going to try and see if I can negotiate the cost down some. That price seemed a bit excessive to me too. Also I didn't like that they charged me $50 to install blinds, that really blows my mind. I beat myself up all the time about forgetting to replace them. Thanks for the advice.

We're always curious as to how hings work out for people. So, please let us know how you resolved everything. Good luck.

We're always curious as to how hings work out for people. So, please let us know how you resolved everything. Good luck.
Well I ended up not having to not pay the extra $100. They kept the $600(security deposit) for carpet and I paid $50 for blind. Still sucks but not as bad as it could have been I suppose.

Well I ended up not having to not pay the extra $100. They kept the $600(security deposit) for carpet and I paid $50 for blind. Still sucks but not as bad as it could have been I suppose.

Take the money and run. LOL

I agree, anytime you get something back on any deal, that's a win.
Thanks for the update.

Back