Rent-to-own, Landlord gave 4 days to vacate

Jackie Johnson

Jurisdiction
Arizona
I have a unique issue. I am currently living in a trailer on a private residence and have been in a rent-to-own agreement with my Landlord that used to own the private residence the trailer is on. The Landlord sold the property and the agreement with the new property owner was that the trailer and myself could stay on the property until July 31, 2022. I then made another agreement with my Landlord that I would be able to move the trailer to a mobile home park and continue to make rental payments toward owning the trailer. Two days ago, July 27, 2022, my Landlord sends me a text message stating that the rent-to-own option for the trailer is no longer available and I must vacate the trailer and property on July 31, 2022. Is that legal? What rights do I have? I assumed that the Landlord would have to provide me with 30 days to vacate but not sure how that works since the rental unit is on someone else's property. Please help.

Which begs the question, Jackie, do you have a written rent to own contract with the trailer owner?

PS: I deleted your duplicate post.

Please keep all future discussion in this thread. We all read all the forums.

I am currently living in a trailer on a private residence and have been in a rent-to-own agreement with my Landlord that used to own the private residence the trailer is on.

What could it possibly mean for the trailer to be "on a private residence"? I assume you meant that the trailer sits on land on which there is also a private residence. Correct?

The Landlord sold the property and the agreement with the new property owner was that the trailer and myself could stay on the property until July 31, 2022.

OK. So...when your former landlord sold the property to someone else, you made an agreement with the new owner that allowed you and your trailer to remain until 7/31/22 (two days from today). Right? When was this agreement made?

Two days ago, July 27, 2022, my Landlord sends me a text message stating that the rent-to-own option for the trailer is no longer available and I must vacate the trailer and property on July 31, 2022. Is that legal?

I don't really understand. Your rent-to-own agreement was with someone who no longer owns the property, and you told us that you made an agreement with the new owner that requires you to vacated on 7/31/22.

What rights do I have?

No one who hasn't read the original rent-to-own agreement and the new agreement with the current owner can intelligently assess your situation.

I assumed that the Landlord would have to provide me with 30 days to vacate but not sure how that works since the rental unit is on someone else's property.

Given that you made an agreement that required you to vacate on 7/31/22, I'm at a loss to understand the basis on which you could make such an assumption.

I suggest that you make arrangements to move your trailer ASAP. Alternatively, first thing on Monday, call a local attorney and arrange for a consultation ASAP.

Yes, the trailer which I am renting to own, is on a residence not in a mobile home park. My landlord (will call her Jane) owns the trailer and Jane used to own the property where the trailer is parked and where there is a residence. There is a new property owner (will call him John) and the terms he agreed to when he purchased the property was that I could stay until July 31st and then myself and the trailer had to vacate. I had a verbal agreement (as the written agreement was still in the process of being signed) with Jane that I could move the trailer to a mobile home park and continue to make payments as rent toward the purchase of the trailer. The verbal agreement was on a month-to-month auto-renewal basis. However, just two days ago Jane tells me that the rent-to-own option of the trailer is no longer available and I must vacate the trailer on July 31st. Since the trailer is my dwelling, wouldn't Jane have to provide me with 30 days notice to vacate?

Here is the agreement that was in the process pf being completed. The markups in red are my comments which the Landlord agreed to.

Attachments

• Lease Agreement for Trailer 7-2-22.pdf
    545.8 KB · Views: 9
Here is the agreement that was in the process pf being completed. The markups in red are my comments which the Landlord agreed to.

The original landlord died in February of 2022.

There can be no oral agreements insofar as real estate transactions are CONCERNED.

MY quick perusal of the purported lease documents reveals to me that you don't have a written lease because the original landlord passed away during your leasehold.

You can retain the services of an AZ licensed attorney, or simply vacate the premises before the matter becomes more contentious.

I assumed that the Landlord would have to provide me with 30 days to vacate but not sure how that works since the rental unit is on someone else's property. Please help.

If I'm reading the posts correctly, months ago you agreed that you and the trailer would be moved off the property by July 31.

That was your notice. You and the trailer should have been gone long ago.

Leaving this until the last minute is your downfall, just like anybody else who leaves something to the last minute.

Yes, the agreement was for me to leave with the trailer that I was renting to own. However the landlord who I am renting to own the trailer from, told me just 5 days ago that the rent to own option is no longer available and I need to move out of the trailer by July 31st. THe trailer was my home and I was to be leaving with my home but was told that I had to move out of it with only 4 days notice. Sorry if my original posting was confusing.

Yes, the agreement was for me to leave with the trailer that I was renting to own. However the landlord who I am renting to own the trailer from, told me just 5 days ago that the rent to own option is no longer available and I need to move out of the trailer by July 31st. THe trailer was my home and I was to be leaving with my home but was told that I had to move out of it with only 4 days notice. Sorry if my original posting was confusing.
How did the move-out go?

I'm assuming you didn't move out. In any case, were you able to negotiate an extra month?

And I didn't wait until the last minute. I was ready to move with the trailer as that was the agreement. Having to move out of the trailer in 4 days and find another place to live was sprung on me the last minute. I was hoping that they would have to give me 30 days notice to move since I have been paying rent and living in the trailer since February.

How did the move-out go?

I'm assuming you didn't move out. In any case, were you able to negotiate an extra month?

I was told if I didn't move I wouldn't get back the $1400 I had put down on the trailer so I've been moving everything all weekend. The walk-through will be today at 6pm.

Back