Removing Temporary Guardianship

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haven120478

I gave temporary guardianship to my aunt of my teenage son so that he could go to school in a certain school ditrict. The temp guardianship is past its six months and she will not give him back.

She is now refusing to give my son back or allow me to see him without supervised visits. She is taking him to a psychologist and who knows what else she is doing without my permission.

I want my son to come home but she will not let him even visit me. How can I get my son back?

Your son is YOURS. Go get him, take the police if necessary. Temporary guardianship is rescindible at any time unless a Judge gave temporary custody to someone else.

Reality on temporary guardianship

I am going through the same thing with my daughter, and have found that temp guardianship carries a lot more weight that you would think.
I went back to school, and my daughter lived with my ex mother in law for 2 years.
I filed for termination of the guardianship, and she opposed, so we are in court battling now.
To me, it is cut and dry .. she needs to be back with me. However, if she comes back with me, then her father will owe more child support to me.
This has become the issue, and the ex mother in law, and father are concocting all kinds of lies about me.
The court has appointed a guardian ad litem to investigate, and make a decision.
For the time being, they are making my daughter's life miserable, because she says she wants to come home. They make her feel like she will be responsible for her father going to jail because he "can't" pay child support.
Even with all of the terrible things they are doing, it is still costing me a fortune in legal fees, and time away from work.
Bottom line .. don't EVER sign a temporary guardianship without an expiration, and even with that .. I would never do this again. If they oppose the termination .. then everyone is tied up in court for a long time.
Whoever reads this, and is considering this option .. please DON"T do it!

There is a vast difference between a divorced couple and an Aunt. You will win your case as long as nothing severe is found. The Aunt, especially here in GA where I know the law, has NO right to keep the child. I do wish you luck on your case. Sounds awful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back