Removing a relative from the deceased's home

Status
Not open for further replies.

elliewilmington

I have relative that moved into my parents home 4 years ago after losing their job. They have lived rent free the entire time. Both parents have passed away and we would like to sell the home. My mom has been dead for 6 years and my father passed away a month ago. The relative living there has made a half hearted attempt to find an apartment, but is dragging their feet. As the Personal Representative of the Estate, can I evict this relative? I hate to go this route, but I don't think I am going to be left with any choice.

I know I can't turn off the power or water, but am I allowed to disconnect the cable tv and internet service?

If you are the person now responsible for the property then yes, you can bring an eviction against the mooch.
I suggest you do not disconnect anything. If there are services which you have authority to cancel then do so, but leave power and water alone.
Perhaps you can lend a hand in finding a new residence for your problem?

I have tried to help them find an apartment, but I gave up in frustration.

Would I file an official eviction notice or just give them a notice to be off the property in 30 days?

You start by giving them a notice to vacate or quit the premises. They won't leave, which means you have to evict them using the court system. Google "eviction YOUR STATE AND COUNTY". That should provide you samples and specifics. It s important you follow the aw to the letter. If you don't, you have to start from step one. Most courts tell you, as the landlord, how to do it. There are several sites rentlaw.com is one of many. Google, all will be revealed.

Sent from my iPad3 using Tapatalk HD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back