Relogious Discrimination In Work Place

I❤Chicago

Jurisdiction
Illinois
Hello I'm from Chicago.
I started working for UPS Inc in August 2018 as a package handler. All the trouble began when I signed an intent form to try to become a truck driver for them. First they witheld my paycheck for 3 weeks. Then the discrimination started. UPS lead me to believe that shaving my beard was the only way that I could become a driver for them. Pinning me against a wall and giving me a choice between my religious beliefs and job advancement.

Then the trainer who was also the HR manager for truck drivers, saw my driver licence with my beard and pulled me off to the side and assigned other trainers to other drivers. This man was the devil incarnate. He literally screamed and shouted at me. Told me to "go back where I came from". Scrutinized and had a fit of madness at every small mistake I made while letting same mistake of others go. He was verbally telling me that I was doing fine in training but in paperwork he filled out he noted down that I was doing everything wrong and forced me to sign it. UPS was involved in it too because they knew I filed for a waiver requesting reprieve from the dress code because of my religious beliefs. This man made me so scared while driving he almost made me crash. Then used the same mistake as an excuse to barr me from becoming a truck driver.

I got so disheartened and depressed I left and never looked back. Talked to my parents they being 1st gen immigrants who survive pay check to paycheck told me that our family is weak financially and doesn't have enough connections and energy to pursue this case. At the time I didn't know of EEOC or Labor dept.

Now in Spring 2019 EEOC reached out to me and turns out UPS was found guilty of doing this nationally to muslims, sikhs, orthodox jews, christians whose schedule and religious appearance differs from UPS rules. And they offered me a settlement of $5000. But I do not belief it is a fair compensation because of the damage they have done psychologically and financially to me. They have ruined my prospects of a good career. All because of my religous beliefs.

Please if anyone can help me or give advice. I would love to hear from you.

I don't see a question in your post. Do you have one?
Yes EEOC sent me a "release" that I don't exactly know the meaning of. From my understanding I get $5K and UPS goes scott free. Which I don't believe is fair because of the damage these people did to my life and well being.

Should I sign for 5000 or can acase be built further citing the nationwide EEOC investigation where UPS was found guilty

Should I sign for 5000

Whether you sign or not is entirely up to you and not something about which you should be seeking opinions from anonymous strangers on the internet. That said, if you don't think the terms are "fair," then why would you sign?

can acase be built further citing the nationwide EEOC investigation where [the employer] was found guilty

I have no idea because I know nothing about the EEOC investigation. There appears to be a wealth of information on the internet, so I suggest you read some of it and see if it helps you make up your mind. If what you read raises more questions, feel free to come back and ask.

Yes EEOC sent me a "release" that I don't exactly know the meaning of. From my understanding I get $5K and UPS goes scott free. Which I don't believe is fair because of the damage these people did to my life and well being.

Should I sign for 5000 or can acase be built further citing the nationwide EEOC investigation where UPS was found guilty

Perhaps you should consult a lawyer.

If a lawyer thinks you should be able to get a lot more, and is willing to represent you on a contingency basis, it might be worth it. Otherwise, take the $5K.

Note: get some vocational training. There are many jobs that are fulfilling; there's more to life than driving a truck for UPS.

The following is the private message you sent me:

"Hey the thread was closed or wasn't letting me post anymore.

I have read everything online and EEOC sent me all of it in email as well.

But how can I communicate to the EEOC or a different court that the settlement is unfair??

What are my choices at this point. That is the purpose I am here on this forum."

I don't know details because I'm not going to take the time to read about the EEOC action and investigation. However, I did see that the EEOC settlement apparently happened nearly a year ago, so it may be that the time for any comment or objection has long since passed. I suggest you seek out a consultation with a local employment law attorney.

Perhaps you should consult a lawyer.

If a lawyer thinks you should be able to get a lot more, and is willing to represent you on a contingency basis, it might be worth it. Otherwise, take the $5K.

Note: get some vocational training. There are many jobs that are fulfilling; there's more to life than driving a truck for UPS.
Yes sir/madam i realize truck driving is not glamourous. But it is more about principle for me. They treated me like absolute garbage and that guy still works there like an empowered racist crook.

The following is the private message you sent me:

"Hey the thread was closed or wasn't letting me post anymore.

I have read everything online and EEOC sent me all of it in email as well.

But how can I communicate to the EEOC or a different court that the settlement is unfair??

What are my choices at this point. That is the purpose I am here on this forum."

I don't know details because I'm not going to take the time to read about the EEOC action and investigation. However, I did see that the EEOC settlement apparently happened nearly a year ago, so it may be that the time for any comment or objection has long since passed. I suggest you seek out a consultation with a local employment law attorney.
Ok thank u for your opinion. Bit plz let the thread remain open so I can views from others as well. Thanks.

Yes sir/madam i realize truck driving is not glamourous. But it is more about principle for me. They treated me like absolute garbage and that guy still works there like an empowered racist crook.

"The best revenge is living well."

Your bitterness is poisoning you, and that can potentially blind you to greater opportunities.

"The best revenge is living well."

Your bitterness is poisoning you, and that can potentially blind you to greater opportunities.

Yeah I know. Just wanna make sure I don't miss a chance. Otherwise I'll just have to take the 5K and watch UPS and their racist staff go scott free.

Not out for revenge per se. But some justice and closure.

Driving for UPS can be a lucrative and life-long career. Just sayin'

Getting something is better than getting nothing. If you can't build your own case and prove damages it is likely best to take the 5k.
You can still drive for someone else or find work in another field. Maybe the 5k can pay for training for something else.

At the time I didn't know of EEOC or Labor dept.

Now in Spring 2019 EEOC reached out to me and turns out UPS was found guilty of doing this nationally to muslims, sikhs, orthodox jews, christians whose schedule and religious appearance differs from UPS rules. And they offered me a settlement of $5000. But I do not belief it is a fair compensation because of the damage they have done psychologically and financially to me. They have ruined my prospects of a good career. All because of my religous beliefs.

When did you leave UPS? Have you ever filed a complaint with the EEOC or IL Department of Human Rights about the alleged religious discrimination? And given that the EEOC relayed the offer to you for the $5,000 last spring, why are you just now asking about this? Is that offer even still open?

The basic rule here is that you needed to file a complaint with the EEOC or through the IL Department of Human Rights (ILDHR) that handles employment discrimination claims within 300 days of the date of the discriminating event in order to have a claim under federal law or IL state law. Due to an arrangement between those two agencies filing with one agency counts as filing with the other. If you don't file your complaint with the EEOC or ILDHR timely then you cannot go to court and sue the employer under federal or state law for the discrimination. If you worked in Chicago or Cook County then local law may also offer you a remedy, but you need to file separately with the local agency within 180 days. Filing with the local agency does nothing to protect your claim under federal and state law.

The very last day the employer could have discriminated against you is the last day you worked for the company. So if it has been more than 300 days since you left and if you never filed a complaint with the EEOC or the ILDHR then you are too late now to file the complaint and as a result you would not be able to file your own independent lawsuit over this. In that circumstance taking the $5,000 being offered is a great thing for you because otherwise you get nothing for the EEOC violation.

Back