Religious Discrimination?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cgstrange

Let me start by saying it is very hard for me to ask about this but I feel like I don't have a choice.

I work for a very openly Christian company in the state of Texas who employees about 70 people. This is something they let eveyone know when they are interviewed and hired although it is said not to be a requirement for employeement. I myself, have never had a problem with this untill recently. I think I should also let you all know that I am a bi-vocational, licensed pastor in the state of Texas and this is for my day job. Having worked in secular business all my life, when I joined the company 3 1/2 years ago it struck me as odd that all of our sales meetings were started and stopped with prayer in which our VP of Sales would either pray or call on one of us to pray. I thought this was a nice change from regular work and participated willingly. However, recently a co-worker, who is a member of my church, who I am very close with and who also is called upon to pray regularly was condemned because of his style of prayer. He was told (behind closed door by the VP of sales) that they didn't believe he was serious about his job because his prayers didn't seem serious enough. They have since then pulled some of his status in the sales department publically telling us that he has a problem taking things seriously but he feels strongly that it's because of their judgement on the way he prays. He acutally went to the President of the company and told him he took offense to the comments on his prayer and was told by the president "that's the way all Baptists pray" and it was laughed off and no disiplinary action has taken place.

Being a Baptist as well I took great offense to his comments and am now worried that my past and/or future prayers will determine the means in which I am reviewed with this company. With my status in my local church, and a strong friendship with the President of our company it is very hard for me to want to persue this legally but I am so uncomfortable in this workplace now because of those circumstances.

What should I do?

cgstrange

However, recently a co-worker, who is a member of my church, who I am very close with and who also is called upon to pray regularly was condemned because of his style of prayer. He was told (behind closed door by the VP of sales) that they didn't believe he was serious about his job because his prayers didn't seem serious enough Not serious enough as in no stigmata appeared??? :rolleyes: It sounds like your friend may have good reason to file a complaint of religious discrimination with the EEOC or his State's equal rights division.

Being a Baptist as well I took great offense to his comments and am now worried that my past and/or future prayers will determine the means in which I am reviewed with this company. With my status in my local church, and a strong friendship with the President of our company it is very hard for me to want to persue this legally but I am so uncomfortable in this workplace now because of those circumstances. What should I do? I'd suggest you start looking for a new job where management makes rational decisions based on legitimate business needs and not some nonsense about not praying the right way. There is no legal action you can bring as you have not experienced any adverse action and you can't file a complaint or lawsuit about something that might happen.

Personally, I'd get out of there as fast as I could. It sounds like you're working for very rigid and small-minded people despite their claims of being "Christian."

To Religious discrimination

I myself also am a Baptist and work for a Baptist Church. I just put a thread on as well. I read a reply to your thread and this person said to get out of there as fast as you can. I am finding just because people claim to be Christians, that does not mean they treat employees fairly. You would think working at a Church would be a wonderful environment, but it can be difficult. I personally don't think anyone should be reprimanded for their style of prayer, unless you worked for an actual religious organization maybe. Best of luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back