Religious Discrimination?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdh428

I am a student at a public community college. Recently, I missed a week of school due to being out of town for a religious event. The college would not let me make up any of my missed work and subjected me to loss of academic credit. They have allowed others to make up work for vacation, illness, personal reasons, etc..but being that mine involved a religious absence I am not eligble. If they can make accomodations for others, why isn't an absence involving my right to worship able to have an accomodation??

I am a student at a public community college. Recently, I missed a week of school due to being out of town for a religious event. The college would not let me make up any of my missed work and subjected me to loss of academic credit. They have allowed others to make up work for vacation, illness, personal reasons, etc..but being that mine involved a religious absence I am not eligble. If they can make accomodations for others, why isn't an absence involving my right to worship able to have an accomodation??

Normally students are allowed to make up work missed for VALID religious observances or practices.
You might want to speak with higher level officials at the colleges about your dilemma.
You could also arrange to be heard at the next board meeting of the elected officials that oversee the college.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back