rejecting employment applicants

Status
Not open for further replies.

musica

I own a small promotions and marketing agency and we have a huge staff turnover, which means that I am constantly interviewing potential staff memebers. I have recently had two applicants who work for two of my major competitors. One of the things we pride ourselves on is the fact that we have strict confidentiality standards, to the point that - in some cases - if a staff memeber is doing a job and someone asks who they work for they are to say they represent the product and not to mention us. I have decided not to employ these two girls on the basis that they work for our competitors and it may put our confidentiality at jeopardy. Can I be honest and tell them that that is the reason that they didn't get the job? I try to be as honest as I can when it comes to telling people why they didn't get the job, what are things we shouldn't say to applicants that didn't get the job?

Is there a reason that you need to explain why someone didn't get a job? You can simply say that a decision has been made not to hire them at this time and thank them for their interest. You may wish to use some type of non-compete agreement if moving to your competitors is so dangerous to your business and turnover is high.

Thank you for your prompt reply :). In response, no I do not need to give them a reason and it quite simple for me to say that there were people more suited to the job. The only reason i would like to tell them is because when i was looking for work, none of my applications gave me a reason as to why i didn't get the job. I know it would have benefited me greatly to know the reason i didn't get it and i would like to do so for the people who apply with me.

I completely understand and appreciate where you are coming from. However, why are you interviewing candidates that you would not hire in the first instance since they also work for your competitors?

As a general rule, I think it is always wise to be cautious about what you say, especially regarding race, color, and creed, or any other criteria for hiring/firing which could be used as a basis for discrimination based upon same.

Thank you again for your prompt response. I generally don't find out that they already work for my competitors until the interview when I see their resume. I know it is best not to say much in these matters, i was basically trying to see if there was a way around all the legalities so that i could tell the truth. Thank you very much for you help :).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back