Reimbursement Clause - Unsigned Agreement

DC77

Jurisdiction
North Carolina
This may sound obvious, but can a company demand reimbursement for initial training if you never received the handbook (until a month later) and never signed it upon hiring??

I was hired over a month ago with a soon to open start-up health and fitness franchise. I was hired under a previous general manager, and we had a long discussion in the interview about what hours I could work and physical limitations that could affect my ability to take on too many hours (migraines and inflammation flare ups). You're required to do 20 hours of online coursework and 2 days in-person training. (Half of which I wasn't paid for my time and reimbursement was less than half the standard IRS mileage rate.) In the middle of training, the GM that hired me was abruptly replaced.

Whether it was the mix-up with GMs or sneaky tactics, I was never informed about the 2 year Non-Compete Clause (which says I can't work in the related field within 15 miles for 2 years) and a Reimbursement Clause that says if employment is terminated or left voluntarily within 6 months, I must pay for the training and all incurred expenses ($1,300). Under a year, 50%. Mind you, I could have done the same training with an accredited and certifying organization for about $400. I just received the hanbook/contract today. It is presented as an employee handbook, but essentially, it is a contract for 1 year of employment.

Had this employee contract have been put in front of me upon hiring, we would not have gotten this far. I can't commit to this for health reasons and also because the schedule they want to put me on now is unfeasible to support myself or work a second job. These are two things I was very clear about in my interview, and was reassured by the hiring GM it wouldn't be a problem.

The studio is opening soon, and I would like to bow out as gracefully as I can, citing physical health issues. Since I never signed anything, am I liable for anything in the contract? Is there any kind of "implied" contract that I am held to?

This may sound obvious, but can a company demand reimbursement for initial training if you never received the handbook (until a month later) and never signed it upon hiring??

This might sound obvious, too!

ANYONE/ANYTHING CAN demand EVERYTHING.

Demanding means nothing, going to court to prove your assertions COULD result in a jury awarding the entity demanding whatever the entity demanded of you a judgment for the satisfaction the entity demanded of you.

The studio is opening soon, and I would like to bow out as gracefully as I can, citing physical health issues. Since I never signed anything, am I liable for anything in the contract? Is there any kind of "implied" contract that I am held to?

You serve yourself best by "asking an attorney you retain, before jumping from the frying pan into the boiling kettle".

Take all of the documentation you possess to have the attorney you HIRE to advise you, which might allow you to walk away unscathed.

There's nothing graceful about it.

Refuse to sign. Without your signature there is likely no contract since you weren't notified of its contents.

If you get fired file for unemployment immediately and seek employment elsewhere.

I just received the hanbook/contract today. It is presented as an employee handbook, but essentially, it is a contract for 1 year of employment.

First observation, nothing in that handbook that you didn't know about until today certainly is not a contract that would obligate you for those things done/not done prior to today.

Second, in most circumstances an employee handbook is not a contract even though it may look like one. Furthermore, to make what you were presented today to make an enforceable contract, it cannot be all one way. Unless the employer is also giving up something to you the supposed contract that had not been provided before then the contract would fail for lack of mutual consideration. Employers really need to get the contract in place at the time of hire to avoid possible problems in creating a binding contract. You may want to ask a local employment law attorney if that handbook would hold up as a contract in court in your state.

You don't have to accept whatever changes the employer now wants to make. If you don't like what is in it, tell the employer you don't agree with it and won't sign it. The employer may terminate you for that, but better to go and find a better job than stay at a company with terms and policies you don't like.

I don't have all the facts, but I doubt there is anything that was done before today that rises to the level of a contract, whether expressed or implied, other than your agreement to work for the company and the company's agreement to pay you a certain amount of money for the work done. And as that arrangement was almost certainly at will, you can tell your employer you quit and leave without any obligation for a two week grace period or whatever else the employer might want from you before you depart. The employer might have some ill will towards you if you just suddendly quit and leave without any advance knowledge, but that will be a problem only if you really want to use that employer as a reference.

Back