Regarding Copyright issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

lmth

Hi,
I have few questions. Following are my questions.

Question 1: I am creating video tutorials for sale purposes (sell to earn profit) like cbt nuggets etc.
I have created lectures from scartch in my own style and presentation. I used differnet authors books, articles, etc. to understad such concepts.
I have created presentation style, graphics etc. from scratch.
My question is..
I am using Gnome based linux OS (ubuntu or fedora) and I am using softwares like Xvidcap, Avidemux, etc. to record such lectures.
Mostly these softwares are under GNU, GPL v1 or 2 etc. (I have read GNU etc licensing but did not get it)

If I record my lectures using these softwares and platform and produce them in .avi format.. That material will be my ownership completely?

Question 2: Am I required to take permission of the course owners like Cisco?

Question 3: I want enter some details like disclaimer, licensing, What is the proper guideline to create such terms like disclaimer etc for Video tutorials so that the tutorials can be secured properly? Can I copy disclaimer etc material from other sites?

Question 4: Final Q. There are number of forums.
There are users discuss matters on such forums. Like html, javascript etc. I got some html etc codes. Then I check the whole site regarding copyright issue that Can I use these codes (I did not receive any reply). I check three forum sites.
Can I use these codes which are shared by different users on different forums?
These forums are considered public domain?

Looking forward.

From what I know - and you should get a legal opinion from an attorney who knows all the facts:

1) You own the rights to the lectures you create.

2) Just because you learned something from a book, your take on the subject is your own. Learning how the Photoshop lasso tool works is not unique to one book even though you read how it works in a specific book. Explaining your new knowledge in your own words should not be copyright infringement or require you to give credit to the author of the book that taught you the subject.

3) All of these legal terms are specific to your material and usually designed by an attorney to fit the specific need. If you want to "borrow" from other sites, you do so at your own risk. If this is a real business, I'd do it the right way.

4) Almost all forums have terms of use in them and this question can have many answers. There could be an issue of fair use, the code might appear elsewhere, it might appear in the public domain, etc. It's a case by case basis.

Let us know if you need more specific assistance but this is generally the answer from my perspective.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back