Personal Bankruptcy Recovering Car Title

Status
Not open for further replies.

cruisee

We've had a bankruptcy discharged in January 2006. In the filing we intended to reaffirm an auto loan. We did not sign reaffirmation papers with the auto loan company. Our understanding is that even though we intended to reaffirm the auto loan it is still considered discharged. Subsequently we decided not to pay on the loan and to let the loan company repossess the car. We have not heard anything from the loan company and now we want to get rid of the car but can't because we do not have the title. Is there any way to get the title for that car? Or other advice?

Jurisdiction/Place: USA - Northern California
Hello...got my chap.7 "discharge of debtor" papers on 7/30/09. Alleged auto company placed lien on my car with DMV, DMV would not register my car without lien release form from the car place. So, I got in touch with DMV directors office & agent there told me to go to my auto insurance co. & get a bond on my car for the blue book value. Bond co. will chrg. 1 to 15% fee of blue book value here in CA. I payed for the bond, received the bond & sent it to DMV & they told me to go to my local DMV to pay for the registration & get 2010 tags. I did that, got registration + tags & DMV is also sending me free & clear title to my car. Hope this helps.
broden62

I bet the Lien holder will file on that bond to get paid back and that bond company will sue you-- If you never paid for the car it is not yours. Nothing in life is free -- SOoner or later it will catch up with you I Promise!

Hello Theresagail,
Sounds like you know something(s). Are you a former attorney or have you worked in a judicial capacity? What do you know about Chapter 7 Bankruptcy? You are right, nothing in life is free--sooner or later it will catch up with you. I promise. Did you come here with all the stuff that is here in this life? Will you take any of it with you when you drop this body? Lets face it, everything we have is just borrowed for a while then someone else gets to use it...perhaps a family member or a friend. "Then she/he said, I object your honor, evidence". Best of luck to you.
broden62

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back