Reclaiming/repossession of sign

Status
Not open for further replies.

signitarium

I built & installed a sign for a customer. I have attempted to contact her after completion, billed for the work & followed up with successive billing to date. I am anticipating I will never get any monitary consideration for my work & would like to remove the sign from her property to prevent further unpaid use of the sign & get some closure with as minimal time, effort & expense as possible. I need legal direction to pursue this effort. I have contacted my local & county law enforcement agencies & have been told they cannot provide any information. I'm trying to avoid a long court conflict over this as I have been there & years later the signs are still unpaid for & providing free advertizing at my expense. Any information in the legal process to remove the sign as simply & efficiently as possible would be greatly appeciated.
Thanks
R. Wolfe

I built & installed a sign for a customer. I have attempted to contact her after completion, billed for the work & followed up with successive billing to date. I am anticipating I will never get any monitary consideration for my work & would like to remove the sign from her property to prevent further unpaid use of the sign & get some closure with as minimal time, effort & expense as possible. I need legal direction to pursue this effort. I have contacted my local & county law enforcement agencies & have been told they cannot provide any information. I'm trying to avoid a long court conflict over this as I have been there & years later the signs are still unpaid for & providing free advertizing at my expense. Any information in the legal process to remove the sign as simply & efficiently as possible would be greatly appeciated.
Thanks
R. Wolfe

AJ Rule ONE (& ONLY) Regarding Self-Help Legal Remedies: Don't do it, just don't do it!

Self help legal remedies rarely work out as easily as the actor would wish them to do!

You could place a mechanic's lien against her property, business, home, vehicle, etc...

Who has the right to a construction lien in Wisconsin?

"Any person who performs, furnishes, or procures any work, labor, service, materials , plans, or specifications, used or consumed for the improvement of land, and who complies with [Wis. Stat. §] 779.02" has the right to a construction lien in Wisconsin. Wis. Stat. § 779.03.

http://www.download-construction-forms.com/mechanics-lien-questions.html

A mechanic's lien is very effective in getting the professional paid!

Mechanic's (Workmen's) Liens in Wisconsin:

http://wilawlibrary.gov/topics/comlaw/liens.php

http://www.nationallienlaw.com/Forms.asp?StateID=50

http://www.download-construction-forms.com/mechanics-lien-questions.html

Mechanics Lien. Good advice. If they are a tenant, you may also get assistance from the property owner if the sign is permanently affixed and has become a leasehold improvement..

If it's a business, you can also harass them daily via telephone- there are no collection protections for business credit. Also visiting the place of business and loudly asking to be paid is legal, though they could ask you to leave and call law enforcement to assist. Small satisfactions. Small calims is probably the best alternative.

Do not try to take possession of the sign! You'll be the one facing charges. It stinks, but it's true.

Best of luck to you!

Thanks for the advice. I was searching for a quick fix alternative. I've used the court system & there is no satisfaction if the person just does not intend to pay. The investment then becomes endless & frustrating. I've been in the trade long enough to know that I didn't want to complicate this any more with "criminal trespass" giving her more ammunition to retain the sign w/out paying.
Thanks Again for your time & interest in my situation
Have A Great Day
Ron Wolfe
Signitarium

From a deputy's perspective I would say just take the sign.

If you called me to complain about her not paying for it I would only direct you to the court.
If she called to complain that you took the sign that she didn't pay for I would also only direct her to the court.
The two of you have a civil dispute over property that most law enforcement officers will avoid at all costs. No, you would not be stealing the sign, and chances are that it is in a very public area where you will not be trespassing to rectrieve it.

That said, I wouldn't take the sign back without making multiple demands and giving a resonable time for response.

It sounds like you are more concerned about her getting free advertising at your expense than you are concerned about getting paid. If you are satisfied enough with retrieving the sign then go for it. If you really want the money then it sounds like the lien suggestion is a good thing to try.

Personally, I would take the sign and welcome her lawsuit if she cries about it. You may potentially be contacted by police, but you won't be arrested for anything... just make it clear to them that you are in a dispute over property/payment and the cops will disappear fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back