Reckless driving ticket in "ticket trap" town

Status
Not open for further replies.

OKVacationer

My 75-year-old mother was driving through this tiny town, on her way to another town to do errands. Two state highways intersect in this town. Both are two-lane highways. Basically farm-to-market roads. However, about 20 feet before the intersection, a train track runs diagonally across both highways. If you are headed northbound, needing to go west, you can turn left (or west) 1-2 blocks before the train tracks, then north, and west again to join the highway and not get caught by the train.

Trains in this town are a major inconvenience because it is very close to the other town, where there is a switching yard for the railroad, so invariably if you go through this town, you will get caught by a train. Many people opt for the small dog-leg detour to keep from sitting and waiting.

The local police officer (and chief, as he likes to inform everyone) jumps in his car and runs to the intersection every time a train goes through. That is where the fire station is located, and he sits in the driveway of the fire station. Now, if someone turns left to avoid the train, he gives them a ticket for reckless driving.

My son and I were taking a friend of his home and were caught by a train and observed this policeman standing out on the street, beside his car, and every time someone would turn, he would flag them over and issue a citation. In the short time we were sitting, waiting on the train we observed this officer issue four citations.

About 3 days ago, my mother went through this town. She approached the intersection, a train started coming through, so she slowed, signaled, and turned left. She said she saw the officer sitting there but didn't think much about it because she was simply making a left-hand turn down the street. He flagged her over and issued a citation for reckless driving. She asked him what did she do, and he told her, "Reckless driving, like it says on the ticket." She asked him if he could please write the law or ordinance that she broke and tell her what she did specifically that was "reckless." He told her, "You turned and crossed the double yellow lines." She said, "But it's not illegal to cross double lines to make a left-hand turn." She then asked him again if he could write the specific law or ordinance on her ticket. He told her, "Get out of here before I issue a ticket for blocking traffic." She was parked beside him in the fire station driveway.

Okayyyy....

Her ticket is for the town's municipal court. We called, again, to find out what the ordinance/law is that she broke. They would not tell her. However, they told her it was a fine of $294.00 and 9 points off her license, if it stands. She then asked what happens if she fights it and appeals it, and the town/court clerk told her to just pay it because "if she's found guilty they will charge her double and besides the same judge would hear it anyway." If it goes through, that's going to be a significant chunk of her income for the month, and considering her age, it will be a miracle if the insurance doesn't raise her insurance to an astronomical amount or drop her completely.

We have several family members in law enforcement. They are livid. When she told them what happened, all agree that not only did she not do anything wrong, it is not illegal to make a left-hand turn across double yellow lines on a 2-lane highway. They are investigating options for her, as well.

This town has started to become a notorious ticket trap. Upon further investigation, EVERYONE who turns to miss the train and this officer sees them do it is issued a citation for reckless driving. There are also numerous speeding violations for as little as 1-2 mph over the speed limit. A friend of mine was visiting from another state, and this same officer pulled her over because she was driving a new Volvo. When he stopped her, he asked her if she was "hauling elephants." (No clue what that means.) She asked him what she had done, and he told her that with her out of state plates and "swank car," he thought she might be a drug dealer. He did not issue her a citation of any type, just kept asking her strange questions. This has all been within the last 60 days.

There is a lot more history to this town. Their PD, at one point, became such an issue that the local sheriff's department and state police were asked to assume jurisdiction because of some major problems and corruption.

So how do we go about fighting this? From what we can tell, she did nothing wrong, and for sure it wasn't reckless driving.

Advice?

If you want to prevail, hire her a lawyer. I'd rather spend the money on a lawyer than give it to that gang of legalized thugs.

The ticket can be beaten, but not by a layman. Heck, I'd represent her pro bono just to teach those shysters a lesson.

Is the town Nolanville, by chance? Texas has lots of crooked dumps like this. So, what's the name of the place?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Okay, Oklahoma.

I tried to put links but I don't have enough posts yet. So please google: Bubbaworld Brokeback PD

and
Muskogee Phoenix and the subject "Okay Police Force Fired."

I will warn you to swallow any solid food or liquids before reading these articles. This is your official "spew alert."

After the above incidents, the county and state police took over for a while.

Back to the topic: My cousin, who is a sheriff's deputy says this "reckless driving" doesn't meet what he calls his "Oh s**t criteria." In other words, it's not an offense that if the average person saw the incident happen would say that magical phrase.

I can't even describe how irate I would be if this idiot issued me that citation.
No, it is not reckless driving and it is not even an illegal turn. Absolutely argue this in court and bring to light that many people are receiving these bogus citations! I don't think you would need a lawyer either. The officer has to explain to the judge what he observed to justify the charge, and unless he lies through his teeth he won't be able to give testimony that supports the citation. It would get dismissed.

The relevant Oklahoma law:

§ 47-11-901. Reckless Driving
A. It shall be deemed reckless driving for any person to drive a motor vehicle in a careless or wanton manner without regard for the safety of persons or property or in violation of the conditions outlined in Section 11-801 (speed) of this title.

Making a left as described clearly does not meat this required element of wanton disregard for safety. I looked through the code and did not find anything that directly addressed making a left turn over a double yellow, but so long as there are no signs indicating that the left turn is not allowed there should be no problem.

The code does say that vehicles are not to be driven left of center in a no passing zone, but making a left turn is a common exemption of the double yellow rule... and it still is not reckless anyway.

mightymoose said:
i don't think Nolanville is the speed trap it used to be. They used to get people coming down off that big hill, but the speed limits are higher now... not quite the same.

Brother Moose, you've been around.
You're one sharp cookie!

No, Nolanville is almost bankrupt.
They had to fire 10-12 of their officers last fall.
They were operating with the "chief" and 5-6 "reserve" officers.
They've recently been able to rehire 3 full time officers.
But, for the most part, their speedtrap days are over!

The "farm to market" reference led me to think Texas.
I forgot our neighbors to the north use a similar naming protocol.

A couple of us retired JAG lawyers sued Nolanville over the speed traps a few years back.

That all but eliminated their $CAM.
They still try now and again on US190.

OKVacationer said:
Okay, Oklahoma.

I tried to put links but I don't have enough posts yet. So please google: Bubbaworld Brokeback PD

and
Muskogee Phoenix and the subject "Okay Police Force Fired."

I will warn you to swallow any solid food or liquids before reading these articles. This is your official "spew alert."

After the above incidents, the county and state police took over for a while.

Back to the topic: My cousin, who is a sheriff's deputy says this "reckless driving" doesn't meet what he calls his "Oh s**t criteria." In other words, it's not an offense that if the average person saw the incident happen would say that magical phrase.

A discrete telephone call (or two, or three) to the television media types in OKC and Tulsa could also serve that sweet, senior citizen very well!

Thanks, Army Judge, and thanks, Mightymoose for the relevant OK law. I don't see anything that she did that was wanton disregard for others' safety.

Oklahoma also has a "speed trap law" that states no more than 50% of a town's revenue can come from traffic citations; however, the only way the Department of Public Safety will investigate is if a complaint is made by a public official such as the district attorney, a county commissioner, or a congressional representative.

And that gave me an idea. I think I am going to put a call into my congressman and see if he can do anything.

I just wanted to post a followup.

My mother went to court. The judge took one look at her, looked at the ticket, snorted, and dismissed it entirely. She paid nothing.

Thank you all so much for your support and advice!

My mother went to court. The judge took one look at her, looked at the ticket, snorted, and dismissed it entirely. She paid nothing.

You're welcome.
Justice has been served.
Too bad that creep is still Chief of Police.

I wish you might take it a step further. Lots of other people are apparently having the same problem according to your original information. I hope you might find a way to expose the problem.

I wish you might take it a step further. Lots of other people are apparently having the same problem according to your original information. I hope you might find a way to expose the problem.

I am trying to find a way. A very sad thing happened recently. The police officer was sitting at the RR crossing, handing out his daily dose of tickets, and a fight ensued at a bar that was on the other side of the RR tracks, probably about 200-300 yards away. The officer was in the midst of a traffic stop and supposedly could not leave and a young man was stabbed and killed.

Oklahoma has a "speed trap town" law, and an investigation can ensue if the amount of income from traffic fines is more than 50% of a town's total revenues. However, the investigation can only be requested as follows (copied from the statute; I don't have enough posts to enable links yet):
E. 1. Any of the following persons may request the Commissioner to investigate the traffic-related enforcement practices of a municipal law enforcement agency whose jurisdiction includes portions of the federal-aid primary highways, the state highway system, or both located within the boundaries of and on the outskirts of the municipality:

a. the district attorney in whose jurisdiction the municipality is located,

b. a majority of the county commissioners, by resolution, of the county in which the municipality is located,

c. the State Auditor and Inspector,

d. the State Attorney General, or

e. a state legislator in whose district the municipality is located.

2. The request shall state that the requesting party believes the enforcement practices are being conducted:

a. within the boundaries of and on the outskirts of the municipality, and

b. for the purpose of generating more than fifty percent (50%) of the revenue needed for the operation of the municipality.

Don't worry about speed trap laws... worry about the competency of this police "chief". He can't leave a traffic stop for an fight in progress?? Nonsense.
Direct your complaints to the city council/board of supervisors, or which ever government agency oversees the police. You might also want to follow through with that letter to your state legislator. There more people you can gather to support the cause the better.

Video speaks for itself.... I would find a place out of sight and wait for the train to come and film this event as it unfolds. They (cops) can say whatever they wish, but video is a ball buster at times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back