Recently quit my job

A

AnikaDebeck

Jurisdiction
Wisconsin
I recently quit my job due to working 13.5 hours in one day with my first day back since my surgery and being off for 2 weeks. Well, when I quit my job my boss texted me a few days later to ask if I wanted my paycheck that would have been issued today. I cannot pay my bills or get food for myself or my animals now because my boss is withholding my check. He is making me wait until 3/11/16 when the payday is today 2/26/16. Can he legally hold my check from me for that long?

In most states if you quit then you get your check on your next regular payday. Employers don't have to jump through special hoops when you quit. I can't say for sure about your state.

No. See Wisconsin Statute 109.03

(2) Payment to discharged or resigned employees. Any employee, except a sales agent employed on a commission basis, not having a written contract for a definite period, who quits employment or who is discharged from employment shall be paid in full by no later than the date on which the employee regularly would have been paid under the employer's established payroll schedule or the date of payment required under sub. (1), whichever is earlier.

2013 Wisconsin Statutes & Annotations :: 109. Wage payments, claims and collections. :: 109.03 When wages payable; pay orders.

Go in and pick up your paycheck. Hand him a copy of the statute. File a wage claim with the state if he doesn't give it to you:

Wage Payment and Collection Law

Back