Re-Using Craigslist Casual Encounters Pictures

Status
Not open for further replies.

DontKnow5

Hello.

I have a question in regards to pictures in the Craigslist "Casual Encounters" section. If one were to take pictures posted by the original author from their post and re-post them in an ad that is also in "Casual Encounters" asking about it and if anyone had been with this person so on. What legal recourse would they have.

Say that the original poster contact you through your post and said that they would call the authorities and report the posting, could anything actually come from this at all? Seeing as though that the pictures were not taken from anywhere outside of "Casual Encounters" Craigslist and were never posted anywhere other than "Casual Encounters" Craigslist. Ergo all the same people looking at the original posters post would see the other one as well. Not really defamation or anything like that one would assume. Also as soon as the original poster contact the other poster the other poster immediately took down and deleted the post.

Please let us know if any recourse can come from this and if so what. Thank you in advance.

Hello.

I have a question in regards to pictures in the Craigslist "Casual Encounters" section. If one were to take pictures posted by the original author from their post and re-post them in an ad that is also in "Casual Encounters" asking about it and if anyone had been with this person so on. What legal recourse would they have.

Say that the original poster contact you through your post and said that they would call the authorities and report the posting, could anything actually come from this at all? Seeing as though that the pictures were not taken from anywhere outside of "Casual Encounters" Craigslist and were never posted anywhere other than "Casual Encounters" Craigslist. Ergo all the same people looking at the original posters post would see the other one as well. Not really defamation or anything like that one would assume. Also as soon as the original poster contact the other poster the other poster immediately took down and deleted the post.

Please let us know if any recourse can come from this and if so what. Thank you in advance.

What you're inquiring about isn't really a legal matter.

It could become one, however.

I suggest that you simply IGNORE anyone you no longer want to have contact with, or contact.

As far as defamation, that is a legal conclusion, and as a legal conclusion ONLY a judge can declare it to be so.

Again, I urge and implore you to abandon doing this.

I can't predict what would happen IF you carried out this little scheme.

I can tell you people have reported it made their life more complicated and brought some unwanted consequences for doing these types of things.

If you're an adult, just don't do it.

If you're a minor child, I suggest you discuss this matter with your parents or guardians.

I'll leave you with this thought my grandfather would always say: "JUST BECAUSE YOU CAN DO SOMETHING, DOESN'T MEAN YOU SHOULD DO THAT SOMETHING!"

Last edited:
There is a most excellent and 100% way of avoiding such situations.

Quit using the Internet to hook-up.

:)

On a more serious note, there are several similar websites whose owners are having to deal with costly legal issues stemming from this whole "Hey did anybody date Joe Bloggs? What's he like?" thing.

My grandmother would say, "If in doubt, do nowt".

Hello.

Why wouldn't you simply link to the original post? Note that something posted online would likely give rights of use (probably limited) to the site but not to you to reuse and reupload on the site. Your license to use the site is probably limited to viewing and the site's license may be limited to publishing on behalf of the author.

It's certainly possible that if you raise an issue then you're involving yourself in something that might escalate into something more. A bit unlikely perhaps but certainly with a far greater probability the way you propose. And in this regard, if you play in this arena then be ready to deal with the repercussions. This is less innocuous than reposting a picture of a blender for example.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back