Racist doctor, won’t fire because of his title

Mahahri

Jurisdiction
Wisconsin
A part time doctor we have on staff is racist. He has referred to employees by their race and it has made some feel uncomfortable. Although it wasn't offensive, it feels degrading. Because we aren't doctors we are looked down upon by corporate because he makes the money. I reported him to management. I also have proof of him being racist on his Facebook. I mean the posts on his Facebook are scary.... I am Muslim (I don't wear a scarf so he doesn't know) and he has posted very offensive pictures of Muslim women. There are people on his page saying they are going to report him to the company's that he works for because he has a lack of empathy and professionalism and would be biased towards patients. I took a cultural competency in nursing course and I believe this to be illegal and he could be treating patients differently?! I was told that they aren't going to fire him because we need doctor coverage. Some of our staff gets treated differently. He has had complaints from multiple locations. What should I do? His doctor profile has all sorts of complaints from patients....

Different options exist depending on your answer to this.

Who are you in this scenario? HR, manager, staff, something else?

A part time doctor we have on staff is racist. He has referred to employees by their race

As a native born citizen of the USA, with our lineage dating back to about 1720, race is indelibly ingrained into the psyche of most long time citizens of this nation.

I lived in Australia for many years as the US Defense Attache.
Race is NOT as prominent across Oz as it is here.

That said, most people in the USA are far from racists.

Many people do tend to be race conscious, which might appear racist to people coming here from other nations.

That said, racism could have other names in other countries.

For example, India has it's caste system, some countries have royalty, the Chinese have the Communist Party, North Korea has a human deity, and even our friends in the UK still have a monarch.

Some would say Senator Elizabeth Warren is racist for co-opting Native American heritage, while being a Caucasian.

In reality, I'd say she was merely an opportunist.

The mention of race doesn't make the person noting a person's race a racist.

Because we aren't doctors we are looked down upon by corporate because he makes the money.

People of great wealth often look down on those with less wealth.

That isn't racism, either, mate.

Some of our staff gets treated differently.

If one isn't in favor, one often thinks he/she is being abused.

We all like some people more than we like others.

In nature is a robin "specieist" because it flocks with other robins and not hummingbirds?

The same query could be made about the hummingbird, or even human beings.

What should I do?

I can't tell you what to do, as you are FREE to do whatever you BELIEVE is right to do.

That is one of the greatest things about this nation, mate, no one tells you what to do.

You are the BOSS of you.

have any adverse employment actions happened because you are of a different race? Being "looked down upon" by a doctor often happens just due to their personalities and egos. It might have nothing to do with race.

Honestly I'd not look at this doctor's social media as that is their personal life. If it is not flowing over into the workplace, it really doesn't belong. If a customer wants to complain, that's a different equation and the owners/bosses can decide whether to do anything about that.

have any adverse employment actions happened because you are of a different race? Being "looked down upon" by a doctor often happens just due to their personalities and egos. It might have nothing to do with race.

Honestly I'd not look at this doctor's social media as that is their personal life. If it is not flowing over into the workplace, it really doesn't belong. If a customer wants to complain, that's a different equation and the owners/bosses can decide whether to do anything about that.

He had an inappropriate conversation with me that he pulled me outside to talk with me to address how people were doing things and he doesn't know that I'm religious so having a private conversation with a man is culturally wrong for me but he was referring to my coworkers as African American and said they are rude and eye rolling smacking their lips and I've heard him call his patients by their race.

Describe the inappropriate conversation.

If he doesn't know your religion or your culture, there is nothing illegal or discriminatory or harassing about having a private conversation with you.

And please answer my question - it matters to your options, if any.

in many business settings, having a private conversation with a member of the opposite gender is very normal. If it is against your religion, (and he doesn't know that), then you should bring it to his attention. You are expecting him to know something that you haven't disclosed?

I agree the rest will depend on the conversation itself. Referring to others by race isn't in and of itself illegal discrimination generally. And if your coworkers ARE rude and smacking their lips (not sure what that means exactly), it might just be they are rude and smacking their lips.

I do wonder why he is talking with a coworker rather than their manager. Next time he tries to have this conversation with you, I suggest referring him back to their manager.

in many business settings, having a private conversation with a member of the opposite gender is very normal. If it is against your religion, (and he doesn't know that), then you should bring it to his attention. You are expecting him to know something that you haven't disclosed?

I agree the rest will depend on the conversation itself. Referring to others by race isn't in and of itself illegal discrimination generally. And if your coworkers ARE rude and smacking their lips (not sure what that means exactly), it might just be they are rude and smacking their lips.

I do wonder why he is talking with a coworker rather than their manager. Next time he tries to have this conversation with you, I suggest referring him back to their manager.

There are many sides to every story.

An African proverb states that the tale of every lion hunt would be different if told from the perspective of and by the lion, rather than the human hunter.

Without hearing the physician's perspective I remain too ignorant to opine on this matter with any reliability.

I also have proof of him being racist on his Facebook.

Why would you be friends with him on FB or otherwise follow him?

I took a cultural competency in nursing course and I believe this to be illegal and he could be treating patients differently?

Despite your use of a question mark, this sentence is not a question. If you intended a question, it's not clear what you intended to ask.

What should I do?

Your remedies are to lodge complaints with HR. If HR fails to take action, you may be able to sue successfully.

He had an inappropriate conversation with me that he pulled me outside to talk with me to address how people were doing things and he doesn't know that I'm religious so having a private conversation with a man is culturally wrong for me

That's your problem, not his. If he doesn't know your religion, then how could he possibly take into account that "having a private conversation with a man is culturally wrong for" you? Moreover, having private conversations with folks is sometimes a necessary part of a job.

he was referring to my coworkers as African American and said they are rude and eye rolling smacking their lips and I've heard him call his patients by their race.

So what?

Honestly, it sounds like the best thing for you to do would be to seek employment elsewhere.

Back