Quitting, Withholding paycheck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Charley

I worked for a small business for almost 5 years. 1 1/2 years ago a new owner took over the business. He has been a horrible employer and I quit on Saturday without giving notice. For the past two years I have been the manager of this business which employs six employees at most.
The owner has not learned how to operate his business and now does not know what to do since I quit. He's very angry that I did not give two weeks notice.

The day I quit I agreed with his wife who is co-owner that I would come in, in two weeks (i'm 22 and have finals at college to deal with this week) and she said that was fine.
Sunday the owner called wanting info about the store. I didn't respond. He called me again Tuesday at which time I was very nice and answered his questions. I told him I would come in in two weeks to teach him but he said that wasn't good enough. He needs the info now. He is threatening to withhold my paycheck until I agree to come in and teach him how to run his business. Is this legal?

He also claims that if I never come in to teach him he will take me to court for breaking a verbal agreement. He claims I told him when he first bought the store that I would give him at least two weeks notice. Maybe I did, I'm not sure. He doesn't remember when I said this...He claims he can take me to court for breach of contract. Is this possible?

I live in Virginia and can't find any good info on the laws.
Thanks for any help.

In Virginia, he must release your final paycheck to you no later than the next regularly scheduled payday. (He need not release it before that.) If he fails to do so, you can file a complaint with the VA DOL.

Barring a signed contract, he has no legal right to two weeks notice. Just as he can fire you with no notice, you can quit with no notice. While technically anyone can sue for anything, unless he can produce your signature on a document guaranteeing two weeks notice, you have nothing to worry about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back