Quit job to persue another on what is now false pretenses

Questionfrompa

I was approached to leave a very good job that I was at for 6yrs by a very reputable corporation. One of the selling points to take the new job without a large pay raise was that I was going to get paid mileage.
Fast forward 7months on the new job.. I am told that the company no longer wants to pay me mileage like I was told and now they just want me to put my gas and oil changes on my corporate card.
I did not get mileage reimbursement written in my contract. However, I was reassured that I would "make a lot of money on mileage and to not focus on the mediocre pay raise".
I still have my job but clearly am unhappy that I'll be out nearly $12,000 a year.
Do I have an argument or can they get away with this?

If you do not have a legally binding and enforceable contract that guarantees you mileage then

Do I have an argument No

or can they get away with this? Yes

There is only a couple of states that require mileage be paid & yours isn't one. Therefore, without a binding contract guaranteeing mileage be paid they don't have to pay it. Sorry.

If they are paying your actual mileage and gas that is more than fair. They do not even have to pay those expenses.

If you wish to keep the job I suggest you move. I am disabled. As my disability worsened I went from mid level management to being a truck driver. I then progressed to being a linehaul truck driver as I worsened. When my company had mass layoffs, I had to move to Little Rock. Once there, when my spouse was on vacation and we were looking at homes, I was again caught in another round of layoffs and had to move to OKC to keep a job I could do. Instead of a home, we spent her vacation actually vacationing. Sure enough a couple months later I was again laid off. I came back home to my family and spent the winter on UI. My employer had a change of OPs again and I transferred from OKC to 14 miles down the road from where I joined the company. I worked there until I became too disabled to work. It appears time for you to decide. I rented furnished apt's in each city living with people who could not afford nice apt's to conserve the extra expense.

Back