Questions:Trademarks, Copyrights, and Taxes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Donovan448

Trademarks:

I understand the significance of a trademark, and I plan on registering one in the future. However, at this moment, I don't have the money for the legal trademark process. Is it possible to start a T-shirt company without a Trademark?

Copyrights:

I have a professional artist ready to sign a legal document for royalties. I will be using his work, not mine. I responsibilities include everything else - materials, marketing...ect. Since it is his artwork, no can use it without his permission so do I really need a trademark in the beginning? If so, then can I use my legal name at first then trademark the brand when it gets a little more popular?

Taxes:

If it is legal to use my name temporary for this business, could it also be legal to state to the IRS that all profits from these T-shirts (under 12,000 dollars) will be considered a tax free gift . For the first year, my business plan doesn't allow me to make over the 12,000. If I'm lucky I might make half that in the first year, but I seriously doubt it. If the company were to prosper, my business plan does call for a nonprofit organization as well as trademark search and registration. But I don't have the money to start a profit or nonprofit organization through the legal process, which also involves trademark search and registration.

For the moment, I'm just trying to raise extra money to finance my writing career. All this extra income will go towards living expenses so that I can continue writing while working part time, not full. My main goal is to become a professional writer; however, if the T-shirt business does thrive, my plan does offer the possibility of selling the company trademark once it's established.

Copyrights:

I have a professional artist ready to sign a legal document for royalties. I will be using his work, not mine. I responsibilities include everything else - materials, marketing...ect. Since it is his artwork, no can use it without his permission so do I really need a trademark in the beginning? If so, then can I use my legal name at first then trademark the brand when it gets a little more popular?

Correction:

Copyrights:

I have a professional artist ready to sign a legal document for royalties. I will be using his work, not mine. My responsibilities include everything else - materials, marketing...ect. Since it is his artwork, no one else could use it without his permission so do I really need a trademark in the beginning? If so, then can I use my legal name at first then trademark the brand when it gets a little more popular?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back