Question

K

Kyle89

Jurisdiction
Arizona
1.) Can your boss fire you for not attending a christmas party (at a bar) thats not mandatory?

2.) Also i was fired because the boss called me a "bitch" in front of the customers in the restaurant and refused to talk to me in his office. Is this legal way to fire someone in Arizona?

In at will employment you can be terminated at any time for any reason except for a reason prohibited by law such as religion, race, gender.......or unless you have a binding contract to the contrary. It may not have been the best way to terminate you but wasn't illegal.

You can look for other employment & file for unemployment ins. - the state will decide if you qualify.

Good luck.

1.) Can your boss fire you for not attending a christmas party (at a bar) thats not mandatory? Yes, with extremely limited exceptions

2.) Also i was fired because the boss called me a "bitch" in front of the customers in the restaurant and refused to talk to me in his office. Is this legal way to fire someone in Arizona? Yes, and in 48 other states too (and possibly in the 50th depending on circumstances).

I'm not saying either is good judgement, professional, or the way I would go about things. Nonetheless, based on the information available to us, both are legal.

Reading your post, we don't seem to hear any specific reason why the boss fired you. The first reason seems to be what you believe is a factor and the second seems more about process than purpose. Your boss didn't seem to want to talk to you and your employer gave you notice of termination. The responses above basically say it all. You don't need to be provided a reason for termination. And there is nothing wrong with an employer deciding that the work relationship was just not working out with the employee.

Back