Question on employer 401K

Status
Not open for further replies.

luiginj

I am in desperate need of taking out some money from my employers 401K. I fully understand the very negative tax implications involved and future retirement problems. I cant retire for 20 more years. I will inherit my mothers house valued at 500,000 or more when she passes in 5 to 15 years. That is my retirement.

I am 49, recently married with twin sons 1 1/2 years old. So we have 1 income and I do not make enough to pay the mortgage, taxes , home equity loan we made to enlarge our small house for out two sons, and credit card debt.

My Employers plan allowed me to take a small amount to help pay for the addition to the home. They say I can take more as a hardship. One of the hardship scenarios they described were foreclosure of home.

My question is how do I prove hardship to do to take the rest of my 401K money

Thank you

You need to show that without the 401k money, you will have to foreclose. You will have to pay ordinary taxes and a 10% early withdraw penalty.

You can also borrow against your 401k.

Would a list of bills and my normal paycheck stub be enough? I'm at least $700 dollars short a month in bills. Or would I require a foreclosure notice from the bank ? I have been making the mortgage payments on time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back