Question about what a conviction is relative to my situation

Status
Not open for further replies.

NathanR

Jurisdiction
California
In 1998 when I was 18 I got into a car accident. My friend in the car died. I have no memory of the event (I was sober) and a witness said she saw what looked like my tire blow out and I swerved out of control.
The parents of my friend did not want me prosecuted. However, the DA wanted to charge me with involuntary vehicular manslaughter. I did go to court and was given 250 hours of community service.

My question is, on job applications that ask if I was ever convicted of any crime or offense, do I have to answer yes? I honestly don't remember if I pleaded anything and my parents said they don't remember the details either. I figure it's best to say yes and explain the situation but I really don't like talking about it and would rather not have to.

Thanks.

You have ALL of your legal documents relative to your plea of GUILTY to something.
No judge, and I am one, gives a criminal defendant community service hours because he or she doesn't remember.
The parents of the deceased don't get to decide if the state prosecutes anyone.
That's why we have prosecutors or district attorneys.
You can, if you've LOST or MISPLACED, the documents relative to your conviction on the manslaughter charge obtain copies from the court clerk where you plead GUILTY to manslaughter.

Now you can choose to lie about being a convicted felon, roll the dice and hope you don't CRAP out, again.
Or, tell the truth, explain what happened, and maybe the employer will give you a chance to redeem yourself, rebuild your life, and become a productive member of society.

I wish you well.

You have ALL of your legal documents relative to your plea of GUILTY to something.
No judge, and I am one, gives a criminal defendant community service hours because he or she doesn't remember.
The parents of the deceased don't get to decide if the state prosecutes anyone.
That's why we have prosecutors or district attorneys.
You can, if you've LOST or MISPLACED, the documents relative to your conviction on the manslaughter charge obtain copies from the court clerk where you plead GUILTY to manslaughter.

Now you can choose to lie about being a convicted felon, rolss the dice and hope you don't CRAP out, again.
Or, tell the truth, explain what happened, and maybe the employer will give you a chance to redeem yourself, rebuild your life, and become a productive member of society.

I wish you well.

Wow, that was harsh. Keep in mind that I was 18, it was a long time ago and I was merely asking if that is defined as a conviction. I figured it was, and my intention was not to lie...which is why I'm asking!

And nothing came up about this on my previous background check so you can be an asshole about it or just answer my question. And NO, I don't have any documents since it happened. I never said the parents decided, it was a comment indicating that they were not pursuing charges but the DA was. It was traumatic for me and I had a severe concussion and memory loss during the time.

Oh and I am a productive member of society. I did my community service, feel horrible about it, and it was never even determined (if you actually read my post) that it was my fault. The only witness said I blew a tire and tried to correct when swerving. You were NOT the judge and cannot pass judgement. I have since gotten a masters degree in physics and have good job opportunities lined up. Maybe if you were a good judge you would realize you don't have all the facts and need to not be rude.

Thanks for being so harsh!

Last edited:
If you don't remember whether you were convicted of a crime then you have some issues. You need to go to the court of record and find out.

There was nothing harsh about what the judge told you. It seems to me that you have some trouble hearing the truth.

Thank you. I just figured not really reading what I wrote and being judgmental without knowing the actual facts was out of line. A simple YES would have been sufficient to answer my question.

Wow, that was harsh. Keep in mind that I was 18, it was a long time ago and I was merely asking if that is defined as a conviction. I figured it was, and my intention was not to lie...which is why I'm asking!

And nothing came up about this on my previous background check so you can be an asshole about it or just answer my question. And NO, I don't have any documents since it happened. I never said the parents decided, it was a comment indicating that they were not pursuing charges but the DA was. It was traumatic for me and I had a severe concussion and memory loss during the time.

Oh and I am a productive member of society. I did my community service, feel horrible about it, and it was never even determined (if you actually read my post) that it was my fault. The only witness said I blew a tire and tried to correct when swerving. You were NOT the judge and cannot pass judgement. I have since gotten a masters degree in physics and have good job opportunities lined up. Maybe if you were a good judge you would realize you don't have all the facts and need to not be rude.

Thanks for being so harsh!

You may think you did nothing, but a human being is dead, and you're alive.
I've had to try several cases similar to yours.
Every criminal defendant that has ever stood before me has been admonished by me about his or her rights whenever they wish take a plea.
I spend at least 30 minutes going over the rights of the defendant BEFORE I accept his or her guilty plea.
In fact, I read those rights verbatim, each and every time.

The defendant is then must elocute the exact nature of what he or she did.
He or she just doesn't get to plead guilty.
He or she must recite, to the satisfaction of the district attorney and the court EXACTLY what she or he is confessing to have done.
I suppose you forgot that part, too?

Before I accept the plea, he or she has also been apprised of the gravity of a plea, and their RIGHT not to take a plea.
He or she is also told (more than once) that once I accept the plea, it can't be withdrawn, and it can't be appealed.
Again, his or her lawyer has also advised the client relative to the same.
I even inquire of the defendant's lawyer if he or she has advised the client about the gravity and import of taking any plea.
I do all of this in open court, and on the record.
After its all over, reams of paper are given to the defendant to further substantiate the plea.

Nothing in what I told you is harsh.
Want to know what is harsh?
The parents, the loved ones, the friends, the relatives of the deceased face the harsh reality that their loved one is DEAD.
Yes, DEAD, at the hands of an ADMITTED, CONFESSED killer; who still wakes up everyday.
The KILLER who pretends to NOT remember that he KILLED someone he once called a FRIEND.

No wait, I take that back, its pathetic the games people play.
Its pitiful how after they do their misdeeds, commit their crimes, kill people, destroy lives then feign forgetfulness to live with their evil crimes.

I may be an A**hole, heck I may be worse things, but I have never killed anyone and then feigned forgetfulness to make myself seem pure.
I have done my sworn duty in combat.
The ones I killed were trying to kill me, and my mates.
I don't feign to forget those human beings, as I admit it everyday when I pray for forgiveness.

You got your answer.
Funny how you know enough to ask if you've been purified, rather than sullied by the blood of the deceased.

I hope your memory improves.

May God have mercy upon your soul.

"
Welcome to CaseNet ---- Whatever Your Destination ----------
---------- Upcoming Concerts, Music Festivals, Headliners, Movies, Travel ----------
"

Yes, if you're interested in concerts and music festivals.

Besides, no private website can guarantee they're accurate.

"
Welcome to CaseNet ---- Whatever Your Destination ----------
---------- Upcoming Concerts, Music Festivals, Headliners, Movies, Travel ----------
"

Yes, if you're interested in concerts and music festivals.

Besides, no private website can guarantee they're accurate.

Thanks, friend, I've got some housecleaning to do. LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back