Question about selling somewhat sharp objects

Status
Not open for further replies.

hipgnosis93

This is a hypothetical question, no injury has occurred. I am in New York City, but I plan to sell something across state (and international) lines.

I recently purchased some rusty barbed wire on ebay from a seller in another state (this is a store who sells this on a regular basis). The barbs are not too sharp (being dulled and rusty with age), but could conceivably cause damage if handled recklessly.

My purpose in using the barbed wire is artistic. I'm trying to create a series of art pieces that will use small amounts of the wire attached to a small container. It will be able to be handled and opened without needing to touch the barbs.

However, friends of mine are concerned that selling such pieces would be a problem to ship using USPS, and open me up to injury lawsuits. This seems strange since I was able to buy the materials and have them shipped to me.

To combat this, I thought of only selling the items directly, making buyers digitally sign a disclaimer stating they are over 18 and releasing me from any liability in case of injury due to carelessness or misuse. Furthermore, I'd pack the item in bubblewrap and place a warning label on the outside.

The same friends allege that such warnings would constitute an admission that the piece is hazardous and would be even more damning if a claim was made against me. I find this hard to believe.

Anyone know of any laws or precedents that would apply here? Or are my friends being overly cautious?

This is a hypothetical question, no injury has occurred. I am in New York City, but I plan to sell something across state (and international) lines.

I recently purchased some rusty barbed wire on ebay from a seller in another state (this is a store who sells this on a regular basis). The barbs are not too sharp (being dulled and rusty with age), but could conceivably cause damage if handled recklessly.

My purpose in using the barbed wire is artistic. I'm trying to create a series of art pieces that will use small amounts of the wire attached to a small container. It will be able to be handled and opened without needing to touch the barbs.

However, friends of mine are concerned that selling such pieces would be a problem to ship using USPS, and open me up to injury lawsuits. This seems strange since I was able to buy the materials and have them shipped to me.

To combat this, I thought of only selling the items directly, making buyers digitally sign a disclaimer stating they are over 18 and releasing me from any liability in case of injury due to carelessness or misuse. Furthermore, I'd pack the item in bubblewrap and place a warning label on the outside.

The same friends allege that such warnings would constitute an admission that the piece is hazardous and would be even more damning if a claim was made against me. I find this hard to believe.

Anyone know of any laws or precedents that would apply here? Or are my friends being overly cautious?

Your friends have quite creative imaginations. :yes:

You can be sued at anytime, by anyone, for anything.

I see nothing illegal or inherently dangerous in selling your "art".

But, in these litigious times, there are no guarantees. :dunno:

Be advised, if your future pieces of "art" are determined to be dangerous, your waiver would be of little (if any) value in holding you harmless.

If you are still concerned (as you might well be), consult an attorney, retain an attorney, and receive a written legal opinion on the matter.

IF you are ever sued, that could be useful in your defense.

Or, better yet, cut yourself on the "rusty barbed wire" and sue the guy that sold you the "rusty barbed wire"! :biglol: :joke:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back