Security Deposit Question about security deposit

roopejussi

I am not able to find any answer through online and I have a sort of a dilemma with my rental company regarding my security deposit.

I moved out my apartment almost a month ago. The leasing office is telling me that they sent me the invoices and the check last Friday through regular mail.
Today is a Wednesday and I haven't received anything.
I have been emailing them since Monday asking where is it and they are just telling me that it's been sent last Friday and the post mark on it is from last Friday, USPS takes 3 to 5 days to send mail etc...

I don't know..I asked them to see a proof of evidence that they have actually send it like a receipt because I don't trust them at all. All they are saying is that it's been sent last Friday.

Is there anything I can do?

Yes, there is something you can do, wait.
If the letter never arrives, you can eventually take them to small claims court and prove to a judge they failed to obey the state law on returning deposits.
In the meantime, you can't make them do anything more than they are willing to do.
Mail does get lost, which slows down its arrival.
The postmark on the envelope will allow you to learn the truth.

Thanks!
Yeah, it's just a pain in the buttocks.

It's not just the deposit I'm worried about... I never received a letter of final inspection nor I was present when one was done. I do have pictures but since this was my first time renting in US and no one was there to advice what are the procedures when moving out I feel like I'm getting f*** over big time.

Let's wait and see then.

So, I just received the letter.
The postmark is for the March 23rd, my lease was till Feb 28th but I gave my keys to them on the 27th.
I was told from the leasing office they send it on the 20th. It's is more than 21 days from that postmark. Am I allow to get the full deposit back (without deductions) or how does it work?
I was wondering since I haven't opened it yet, that does it matter if they have dated the check or the letter within that 21 day period that it's been "on time"?

So, I just received the letter.
The postmark is for the March 23rd, my lease was till Feb 28th but I gave my keys to them on the 27th.
I was told from the leasing office they send it on the 20th. It's is more than 21 days from that postmark. Am I allow to get the full deposit back (without deductions) or how does it work?
I was wondering since I haven't opened it yet, that does it matter if they have dated the check or the letter within that 21 day period that it's been "on time"?

If you want to attempt to get more, you'll have to take them to small claims court.
If you're lucky, take the money and run.
Otherwise, return to the city, county, and state where you rented.
File a small claims case, and wait about four to six weeks, IF you're lucky to have the matter heard.
That'll cost you more money to file and have the complex served.
You probably can file online, but you'll have to return to argue the case.

If that's what you want, have at it.

Otherwise, take the money and run far and fast.

Your options are to take the money received or "try" for more in small claims court. Your best bet is probably to take the money you get but it's your decision.

I just opened the envelope and they have taken almost 300 dollars of cleaning and repair fees. I personally cleaned the apartment (I have pictures) and I thought paint was wear and tear (there's no way paint can cost 231 dollars!!!) ...
What worries me is that I paid key deposit and garage deposit and none of these things are listed on this invoice.
I fortunately have my receipt when I paid all those deposits..

If you can't settle things with the landlord your option is to seek a judgment in small claims court. For most people the hassle is not worth it, but that is your remedy.

Back